Lazy susan WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gordon? Probably too much of the red liquid again and again and etc. No, to be serious, he has just had, or is about to have, an op on his back yet again. I don't think they could find his wallet last time, but deep pockets, short arms :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I heard that he fell off of the floor twice last week :roll: :roll: :roll:

Jon, the idea with the wheels sounds a gudun! Easy to make them all exactly the same too. For 1/2" wheels, as an example, all you need to do is to is cut some wood down to about 5/8" square and a tad less long than your longest 1/4" or 3/16" drill. Drill a hole through the middle, mount it between centres and turn it to a 1/2" dowl with the hole right down the exact centre. After that you can either saw the wheels to what ever width you want and then make a pinch chuck to mount them in to turn the faces so they look nice. The hub that you described will need to be free floating because it will be going at 1/2 the speed of the top.

I have just decided that our friends are going to get lazy susans for their Xmas pressies but I'm now off to order the metal bearings from Axminster. Sod turning all that lot again :mrgreen:

Thanks for the wheels idea - yes but they are going to have to be no bigger than John's 16mm balls, or the whole structure will be too tall.

My 'back-of-a -fag-packet' sketch has currently 8 rollers though I'm sure 4 would do; a fully turned out groove in the base (could also be axially routed locally) to take their depth with smaller axial routed slots for axles, and the top has a V shape ridge on its underside to run on the rollers. And then of course, looking at the sketch again, by using thinnish section wheels, I could do away with the V ridge and run the top just straight on the wheels as long as they are clear of the base - they could be turned as axled balls.

Just an idea !

Rob

Hi John & Rob,
I wasn't really suggesting big wheels for your lazy susan ;-)

As another thought, how about using a pen mandrel for holding all of the wheels while you true them up together ?

Rob,
I'm not sure quite what you mean about axially routed slots for the axles.
... but if it's what I think you mean, it may not work because the whole hub and attached axles need to be able to rotate as John says at half the speed of the top.

Jon

Jonzjob":1u9oxirj said:
After that you can either saw the wheels to what ever width you want and then make a pinch chuck to mount them in to turn the faces so they look nice.

can't help feeling this is overkill' - aren't they going to be hidden in use? =P~

chipmunk":1i70k07w said:
Rob,
I'm not sure quite what you mean about axially routed slots for the axles.
... but if it's what I think you mean, it may not work because the whole hub and attached axles need to be able to rotate as John says at half the speed of the top.

Jon

Not if the wheels are not running on the bottom surface. Yes I agree if the wheels are say like the wheels on a microwave turntable, but if they only have the rotating top surface bearing on them then they just stay in position. I like the pen mandrel idea, though I'm still hankering after making the wheels and their axles as one.

Rob

Hi Rob,
Sorry mate, you obviously had that covered already.

I'm stuggling to follow your design from the description but I'll be very interested to see the final solution you come up with.

Please keep us posted.
Jon

Nothing like a bit of pressure then !!!

Won't be for a wee while as I'm in production mode at the moment for an Xmas Craft Fair, though I might well explore my thinkings as a relief from spurtles, rattles, mirrors, pens, etc to make sure my proposal does work !! Fortunatlely I haven't been given Xmas as a deadline.

Rob

Hi John
I never followed it up I'm afraid. I'm bad at starting things and not following them through due to something else coming up - and now we're out of winter (at least the calendar says so!), wood turning tends to take a back seat.

So wait till the autumn and it'll come back onto the agenda ........ perhaps (might respond earlier if I get a kick from Her-In-Doors)

Rob

As a post thought - that is remembering where my thinking was going, I bought some time ago a box of "O" rings, and was thinking along the lines of making some wooden wheels with a suitable groove in them for a neoprene ring and running the table on that, so that it was like a rubber tyre.

IMHO , and for what it's worth this perticular subject was with doubt one of the most interesting of postings on the forum last season .
The WIPs posted were excellant and made a difficult subject {for me anway} very easy to follow. Making it was an other matter .Unfortunetely the skills in my case were not passed on with the WIPs .
For the archives I should think . =D> =D>

Back