Choosing correct tools for finishing.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonms

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for some advice on the correct tools to buy for finishing my project. The pictures will show what i need to do better than i can explain so take a look.

DSCN2930 by Simon Mears, on Flickr

DSCN2931 by Simon Mears, on Flickr

This final picture shows how the finished edge should look.

DSCN2932 by Simon Mears, on Flickr

This job is big, the object measures 1.6m across so i will need some tools that are robust and up to the task.

So, I have a shortlist of tools that may be handy for cleaning up these edges and think for the fine finishing cabinet scrapers and spokeshave might be a good start, then sand. It's the initial "roughing out" work that I am wondering about. Is there a plane that is designed or might lend itself to this job? It's probably worth mentioning that the timber is beech ply and quite hard.

Any advice much appreciated on any aspects of getting the best results, this is a project i am happy to buy quality tools for, I have been looking at the likes of Lie Nielsen and Veritas so want to avoid buying a tool that may not really fit the bill.

Many thanks.

Thanks for the replies, i tried a spokeshave which i borrowed, it was not particularly good and due to the uneven surface it sort of snagged alot, maybe with a sharper blade/ better quality tool it may work well. I fear a belt sander may be a risk but it may serve to get the roughness and worst of it gone. Looks like Makita do a reasonably cheap one.

Anymore suggestions, as i said this is a big piece so looking for effective methods.

I assume it is a free form curve. Some good rasps would smooth it sufficient to get the spoke shaves working properly say a No 7 Auriou. You would then need a very sharp well set spoke shave to finish if you want those crisp edges

Thanks Pac1, i will have a look into that, i am certainly considering either the LN Bogg's spokeshave or a veritas, i have a feeling this is one of those jobs that will take patience to get the clean edges.

...wondering whether a plane of some description might better get the rough stock away before spokeshave?

Block plane would be my first choice for the concave surfaces depending on the curvature, a tight curve a spoke shave would be better, but it needs to be sharp and finely set the ply is a difficult material to work.

This was done with spokeshaves and lots of sanding.

Plywood Ring by Racers, on Flickr

Pete

Racers":up7iogtv said:
Block plane would be my first choice for the concave surfaces depending on the curvature, a tight curve a spoke shave would be better, but it needs to be sharp and finely set the ply is a difficult material to work.

This was done with spokeshaves and lots of sanding.

Plywood Ring by Racers, on Flickr

Pete

Just when I feel like I know what I'm doing, something like this comes along and makes me want to go back to bed.

very nice, what did you finish it with? I have found that the water based polyvine finishes darken the least on end grain birch.

Ok so a block plane, don't forget the size of this thing, it's 1.6m across, is there a bigger plane that may have the robustness to deal with all the uneven ragged edges, a scrub plane?

It's finished with Danish oil.
Block plains are light and easy to use on a curved surface a heaver plane might make it harder work.

Pete

P.s. Sorry Wuffles

Not a spokeshave. I think you need something that will ride the bumps a bit. Block plane would be my choice, maybe an apron type.
Not sure about Birch ply but is it made with a waterproof glue? If so you can spritz/wet it, let it soak in and it will be much easier to work. I wouldn't want to use an expensive rasp on that, unless it was just a few pieces.. The glue can be pretty hard on tools

simonms":wlasbhha said:
Hi, I am looking for some advice on the correct tools to buy for finishing my project.
Having done and seen a lot of that sort of shaping in large form plywood and hardwood sculpting, I'd forget all the hand tool options, and go for:

One of these:
212232_xl.jpg

... matched with either/ or of the following two types:
340235_inset5_xl2.jpg

502570_xl.jpg

... plus a selection of these, and maybe a bit of hand held abrasive paper just to finesse the last sanding prior to polishing.
300033_xl.jpg

Most of this selection of kit is available from Axminster (from which most of the images came), and elsewhere. Slainte

Latest posts

Back