Router is extremely loud

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziplock9000

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought an extremely cheap edging router and bit to get me started on some projects that I needed done with softwood. It does that job and has paid for itself many times over. However it's EXTREMELY loud, far louder than any other power tools.
I just assumed a more expensive router and bit would be quieter, possibly much quieter with an induction motor.
However reading around that might not be the case. They may be slightly quieter, but 90% of the noise comes from the actually cutting?
So I could spend a fortune for a setup that is only 10% more quiet?

Anyway, is this true or not? My budget would still be sub £100 for the edging router anyway, so no Makita/Festool stuff lol.

( I couldn't see a power tools sub-forum so posted here)

I agree they are extremely loud, it’s one of the reasons I hardly ever use one, that and the mess. Soft start makes things a bit more pleasant, I don’t have enough experience of different makes and models to be able to advise on good ones to buy sorry.
Not what you asked but I prefer a spindle moulder.
Ian

You need some decent ear defenders and peace will partially return. I think even a spindle moulder will be noisy as it can make much heavier cuts .

I don't think any routers are made with an induction motor - not the handheld routers anyway. Noise is a function of their speed and the condition of the motor brushes. Better quality brands like Makita vibrate less than budget tools and are worth the money IMO.

You need some decent ear defenders and peace will partially return. I think even a spindle moulder will be noisy as it can make much heavier cuts .
Yes but it doesn’t scream! It’s a much lower frequency, not sure what the rpm’s are but it’s probably 10 times faster on a router. Agree about the ear defenders.

Routers are powerful and run at >20,000 rpm. They are noisy full stop.
The biggest single difference you can make is just turn turn them down to one below top speed on the dial, but that reduces the speed and power so you have to use them accordingly.

. Working on your own it isn't too bad, at least you can brace yourself for what you know is coming, and wear ear protection. Also your quiet thinking periods will not coincide with the router being on.
However, if you share a workshop space, even with ear defenders, it can be impossible to " hear yourself think". In this context the router is a pretty antisocial piece of kit.o_O

I bought an extremely cheap edging router and bit to get me started on some projects that I needed done with softwood. It does that job and has paid for itself many times over. However it's EXTREMELY loud, far louder than any other power tools.
I just assumed a more expensive router and bit would be quieter, possibly much quieter with an induction motor.
However reading around that might not be the case. They may be slightly quieter, but 90% of the noise comes from the actually cutting?
So I could spend a fortune for a setup that is only 10% more quiet?

Anyway, is this true or not? My budget would still be sub £100 for the edging router anyway, so no Makita/Festool stuff lol.

( I couldn't see a power tools sub-forum so posted here)
My Festool is very loud, I have to wear ear protectors

So, seeing as we're discussing ear busting routers etc, anybody able to provide a link to a decent pair of ear defenders that don't break the bank?

I've got about 8 different brands of router but I couldn't rank any of them in terms of quietest to loudest. It's just the nature of the beast so getting some decent hearing protection is all you can really do.

I also have quite a few routers and by far the loudest is my little Makita 240v trimmer router......That thing screams like a banshee and hence why I only use it as a trimmer, thankfully it doesn't get used a lot.

I have a few older 1/2" Dewalt & Elu routers & a couple of Porter Cable routers which are quieter than the Makita, but by far the best and most comfortable to use are the 4 Festool routers.
Purely from an ergonomic and comfort point of view, they are head & shoulders better......You do get what you pay for!

https://www.toolstation.com/3m-peltor-optime-iii-ear-defenders/p91395
These are what I’ve had for years but they have gone up! What price your hearing though.
Save everyone looking them up they’re the black and red 3M ones £36
Great minds must think alike, quickie search suggested those were the go-to at a semi-reasonable price, cheers!

Side note- Almost exactly 2 years ago I woke up one morning and found my left ear was completely deaf, trips to hospital, HUGE meds of steroids for two weeks, end result full blown Labyrinthitis, left ear now an ornament. It's an infection BTW, nothing to do with loud machinery etc, but it has made me acutely aware of protecting the remaining ear.

So, seeing as we're discussing ear busting routers etc, anybody able to provide a link to a decent pair of ear defenders that don't break the bank?
Peltors all the way.
Optime 1, 2, 3 get bulkier and quieter as you go up. Black n Reds are great but the yellow are more compact when using a quieter tool. You may well end up with both.
Theres a newer series with slightly different performance between high and low pitch noises but both ranges work fine.

. Working on your own it isn't too bad, at least you can brace yourself for what you know is coming, and wear ear protection. Also your quiet thinking periods will not coincide with the router being on.
However, if you share a workshop space, even with ear defenders, it can be impossible to " hear yourself think". In this context the router is a pretty antisocial piece of kit.o_O
It's mostly for my neighbours. They have not complained yet, but I can imagine it happening. I only use in sensible times of day

My neighbour over the back fence has a router table. How do I know ? He turned it on in garage and left it running for an hour non stop with the back door open.
I figure he must be deaf because no ear pro to be seen as he popped in and out, leaving the machine running.
At least that's one person I don't need to feel guilty towards when I need to do the very occasional half hour with the angle grinder in the back garden :)

Latest posts

Back