Choice of Wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan Bennett

Established Member
Reaction score
v I intend doing a project using the design.I would like to know which wood would be could be used,It will be outside in all weathers,also the coating of preservative that could be used please. #-o

Bryan

if i were going to cut that for anyone, or even myself come to that i would use minimum 1/2 inch oak, maple or beech. All are hard wood and will give a lifetime of service. I have made several plaques for use as grave markings for people and only ever used oak..

I agree with Steve about choosing oak. The end grain exposed by the scrolled cuts will be so vulnerable to weather variations that you will need the best quality, most stable wood available. Quarter-sawn would be my choice even though it is pricey.

No matter how liberally you coat the oak with varnish/oil it will darken over time (I made a sign for my house out of oak, so I know this), presumably due to metals in our polluted air reacting with the wood's tannins. For this reason you might wish to consider choosing a colour that is different from black for your backer.

Thank you Gill and Steve,I know that oak is probably my best choice locally,I will be going on holiday at the end of next week to the North East.I may take a diversion on the way back via Boddy's Borough Bridge,to see what they have got in the hardwood dept. :roll:

Bryan

Back