Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brianbanfielf

Reaction score
I’m a Newbie . About to collect a Record Power DML 250 and I need some reasonably priced chisels suitable for intermittent turning, spindles and the odd bowl.
Advice please as my budget is somewhat restrictive.

You only need a handful of tools to make most things. eBay etc. regularly have huge bundles of them going very cheap. I’d go for...
Roughing gouge
Parting tool
Skew chisel
Bowl gouge
Round nose scraper
That will do 95%+ of everything you might want to make

Aidan

I'll send you some spindle turning tools for the cost of the P&P. They're carbon steel not HSS, but good makes and good tools. They'll get you started. I'll message you if you're interested.

edit - I feel obliged to warn you - they will be newly ground so quite sharp.:)

Last edited:
This giving things away business is proving difficult.🙄
Have found exactly the same thing via our local Freecycle group. When moving house this year we downsized considerably and the amount of people who said me, me, me and then didn’t bother to turn up to collect freebies was so frustrating. With out latest clear out from sorting a quarter of what we did take with us, we set a table up on the front walkway and let passers by help themselves. We just put a note on the estate Facebook page. Most went same day.

I put some stuff on freecycle a while back.
Guy phones me up and says, will I deliver it, he's about 15 miles away..
Bloody cheek

Hello Phil, that’s been a very generous offer, wish I had seen the post earlier. I was needing an average quality bowl gouge. Bought one eventually from D&M tools, a Record 3/8 but more like 1/2 inch.
Pete

Back