Chisel rolls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
For all those who use chisel rolls..

I need to get a new one, what is a good one to get? Around 6-8 pockets would be ideal.

How do you store the chisels in the roll? Cutting edge or handle in the pocket?

I store my chisels in my toolbag with heavy items such as hammers, axe and planes so they need good protection.

Thanks in advance

although you should put the sharp edge in the holder,
it then means as you tie the roll up, the handles tend to
clash, so the handle edge is wider than the blade end.
they all work quite well, but i think maybe a box would be
more practical and hard wearing in your situation.

paul :wink:

engineer one":v0a1gma4 said:
although you should put the sharp edge in the holder,
it then means as you tie the roll up, the handles tend to
clash, so the handle edge is wider than the blade end.
they all work quite well, but i think maybe a box would be
more practical and hard wearing in your situation.

Never thought of a box. A homemade one or can be these bought?

A box would might be better as, unlike some of the joiners I know, I like to fit door casings the traditional way. Raking mortar joints out and fitting timber plugs requires the need for me to carry a lump hammer in my tool bag, which does smack into things.

Is there any good plans on the internet anywhere on how to make a box with a way that the chisels are retained so they don't batter into each other but can released with minimal fuss?

simplest thing is to check out a box of bahco or similar for the basic layout,
as far as holding things in, worth looking at cutlery boxes.

not sure about internet plans, but worth looking at the american magazine
sites i would think.
sure someone has the links

Tool rolls for chisels-hhmm. I bought the Axminster version. Sharpened all my luvverly AI's and like a hot knife through butter, they start slicing the stitching on the bottom of the pockets.

Now I happen to think that this particular tool roll is a rubbish design (are they all the same?). The leather should be one piece with a fold forming the pocket bottom. As it was I couldn't send the roll back having damaged it, so I cut and folded some plastic book cover material as protective inserts. Somehow I think this defeats the object of a leather pouch.

I should have got a cheaper fabric roll.

Just mt tuppence worth. Please tell me I missed something fundamental here (it wouldn't be the first time).

cheers,

Ike

ike, like you i found that the non folded up ones can be cut through
quickly, but then of course, we are supposed to keep the plastic
thingies at the end aren't we :lol:

most site workers lose them withing about two weeks of sharpening.

that's why i wonder about making and using a smallish wooden
box, say about 8inches deep, 4 inches wide, and 12 inches long.
a number of designs are possible, old fashioned pencil case,
large cigarette style, chisel retaining could be clips or slides.

anyway always room for thought when you are trying to make
the portable toolbox less dangerous.

I have a canvas chisel roll. I keep an oiled cotton ball in each pocket. The blades don't cut the canvas and the edges don't rust. I believe I picked this tip up from Joel Moskewitz at Tools for Working Wood.
Leather can quickly rust tools if it is acid tanned. Vegetable tanned leather is better for tool storage but I prefer canvas.

I use leather tool rolls to store most of my chisels. Like engineer one has said, I have kept the little plastic thingies on my chisels so that the sharpened ends of the chisels don't cut through the roll. Works OK for me but then I am just a hobbiest so I'm not carting my chisels around from place to place in a tool box.

Back