chisel handles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldSchoolTools

Established Member
Reaction score
Just recently ive turned some new handles for old chisels, great fun, I know some people turn crown green bowls for carving mallets made from Lignum Vitea, would any one know how I could cut a crown green bowl into rectangular square shapes? so as I could attempt some chisel handles out of Lignum? or would the cutting be to dangerous.

hello

Myself and richard findley cut a couple of bowls up a few months ago,we used two methods:-
the 1st one we created a flat side by trapping the bowl between centres using a vacuum cup chuck and the tail centre then useing a thin parting tool we sliced one end off(the end where the little ivory disc was) this was then cut on the bandsaw relatively easily.
the 2nd one richard made a sled up for and was cut on the bandsaw. I'm not experienced with bandsaw's so i asked richard wether this was dangerous and he assured me it was very safe method, and the bandsaw made it look easy.

I have a band saw so no problems there, its the lathe bit im a novice at but I do understand what your saying, will try out and hopefully report back as a success.

cheers Gary

Latest posts

Back