Chisel-a-saurous

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangermouse.

Established Member
Reaction score
Just back from the Great Dorset steam fair and amongst the haul of bargains was this whopper of a chisel, two inches wide, fourteen inches long, with handle and the blade tapers from 5/16th. its a shame the Box handle is beyond repair, but It would have cost more than the £2.00 I got it for then. I have no box at the moment, but might do a handle out of fruit wood. I have some nice pear and plum or might go exotic. Opinions welcome.

Attachments

• Capture 1.JPG
    Capture 1.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 1,740
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,740
  • Capture 4.JPG
    Capture 4.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,740
At that price you can afford to look for a rusty chisel with a good old handle or even just buy a ready made box one. What a bargain!

Good grief - that's a jack plane iron with a handle!

More seriously - an octagonal beech handle with no ferrule would seem entirely in keeping - it has a distinctly mid 19th century look to it.

Envious. I was also at the Great Dorset Steam Fair but missed out on most of the stalls, steam engines, trenches etc as we went after 5pm.

I have a similar 2" Sorby firmer which has the same style boxwood handle - but cost much more than £2 :mmrgreen Mind you, the handles on Jimi's chisels also look pretty good.

Handsome! Like Andy said, bargain! I would also CC's route with an oct.

Finally we get to see DM and very impressive indeed!!

Great pace...clear, defined steps...and overall a superb relaxing video to watch over a morning coffee.

I take it you won't be thumping this one...no top ring?

I am a particular fan of the octagonal London Pattern....and it's one of those handles which are quite simple to do IF you know how...and now the whole country knows how in a series of great videos.

Production-wise...I think your delivery is just right but I'm saying that encouraged by Annie who is standing next to me waving a large black and white flag and wielding a rather large kitchen knife in case I write otherwise...

She was passing and sends her love me 'andsome.

The fades are good...perhaps (tiny constructive critique) shorten the long repetitive jobs (eg sawing) into fades a bit more...and a touch down on the background music...it was occasionally difficult to hear your dulcet tones....

Overall....a great start in what I hope is going to be a very long series of excellent "how to" videos!

=D> =D> =D>

Jimi

Why thanks Jimi,
Will take on board tips. I will be putting a ring on the top, but that's for the next video. Annie glad you have that flag waving around, where is our independence referendum !!!!!

I enjoyed the video thanks for posting it. What happened to the lump of wadkin you got a while back?

wallace":t9cuf9fl said:
I enjoyed the video thanks for posting it. What happened to the lump of wadkin you got a while back?

Its stripped down waiting for a slice of time to carry it onward. At the moment I have about 60 hours of work each day so things are being put on hold a bit , lol

Hecky Blud! A real bargain, and a Marples to boot. Nice one DM!
I bin lookin' fer a 2" paring chisel fer ages. :D

FWIW, I agree with BB on the handle too. OOps with Jimi!

Ye jus' canny beat old cast steel chisels 8) I've a couple and its those i keep specifically for dovetails.
You did well :D a right bargain there.

Latest posts

Back