Chip / dust extraction recommendations - £1000

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theallan

Established Member
Reaction score
I know what you are all thinking - "yeahy, another extraction thread". I've read as many threads and reviews as I can get my hands on and I'm now at the point that I'm quite prepared to have someone tell me - "buy this one"...

I get the basic ideas and siggy_7's thread is superb. I currently have a Numatic hoover and know that its time (past time) to get a chip extractor.

Its going to be connected to:

• 10 inch table saw
  • 6 inch planer
  • Used as dust extraction on a lathe when standing with a wide hood

A few other requirements:

• I'd like to run ducting with blast gates so its easy to switch between machines, so it needs to have the airflow to cope with that
  • This is in a double garage, so ideally I'd like it to be quiet as possible - 75dB to 80dB seems to be the standard range.
  • The longer it lasts the better. Buy once and all that

A few of the options I've been looking at:

• http://www.axminster.co.uk/jet-dc1100a-extractor-and-filter-cartridge-package-deal-717141
  • http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-trade-series-ct-90hck-3hp-extractor-102179
  • http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-trade-series-t-2000ck-1hp-cyclone-extractor-505087
  • http://www.axminster.co.uk/jet-jcdc-1-5-cyclone-extractor-102125 - this would be seriously pushing the boat out :)

Please, put me out of my misery. Any suggestions or anything I've missed?

I have this: http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... eal-717658 attached to:

10" table saw.
200mm P/T
Router table

Works excellently, the hardest work is extracting from the P/T which this does so much better than anything else I have put on it, no chips left on the work piece when thicknessing, so no marks, I recommend it, the main problem with table saws is the inadequate existing extraction from the table itself, most just have an open underside which needs addressing.

I use my Nematic twin motor 2000watt for sanding and other fine dust machines where it does an excellent job.

Mike

EDIT: I have this under my table saw and it has transformed the extraction.

Does it have to be in doors with you or could you build it a little lean too outside?
I have the JET DC1100a (outside) with 150 ducting which works very well

My plan is to do what pac1 (outside) & tomit (cyclone) say. Jet cyclone in powered shed on other side of garage wall. I have lathe, bandsaw and will have planer/thicknesser one day.

Dust is the stuff I have issues with ..chippings are no big problem..I own a broom!

Till then I'm using Henry the hoover, desk fan (to blow dust towards hoover snozzle) and facemask (and visor)

Awesome - thanks everyone. Very pleased to hear I'm at least not barking up the wrong tree!

I have to say, the Jet Cyclone is very tempting and will do everything and more as I get a little more adventurous :)

Compare the Cubic meter/hr of each extractor to get an idea of what you are buying, its always better to over do the extraction requirements of your machine, you can always restrict the inlet (not that I have ever found that necessary), but you can't easily up the extract potential of what you have bought.

This is 2000cu/m/hr : http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... eal-717658 the material being sucked through the machine is spinning like crazy around inside walls of the waste bag so it has a cyclone effect.

Mike

Some years ago I put this http://spikyfish.com/DustExtraction/ together (sizes and specs on the page).

I'm in the process of a house move, and having just dismantled it all I was surprised how much dust had collected in some sections of the ducting (given the power of the extractor, the fact it uses no filters or separators [which rob you of air flow], and the large size of the ducting).

The garage is about 5m in length, and the longest path of ducting from extractor to machine was about 8m.

Based on those findings (and the fact my new garage will be larger, and it'll be hard to vent outside) I'm thinking of building something like the Jet JCDC-1.5 you linked in your original post. However, I'm leaning towards not having any ducting or blast gates, and just connect the extractor to a machine directly when I need it. My thinking is that if my above setup didn't have enough airflow to keep dust and chips moving in the ducting, then I stand no chance with longer ducting, a separator (cyclone or Thien baffle) and a filter stack. Indeed it may mean it's inadequate to capture fine dust at source.

I could upgrade from my "small" 3hp unit to a 5hp, but then that gets really expensive.

I went through all this and ended up with the 2hp Jet Cyclone. Fully ducted with blast gates for each machine it does P/T, bandsaw, table saw, 12 inch disc sander, router table and lathe. I use under and over hoods on the lathe. It is brilliant.

I've got the Axminster FM300BC with filter cartridge, a large cyclone bought from dust commander ( who don't seem to make them anymore). I just connect the machine I'm using as my shed is only 6m x 3m and most is at one end. It worked out about half the price or less of a ready made cyclone extractor. I'd be tempted to just get something like the JCDC-1.5 but I saved a lot of money and it's probably as powerful if not more.

Obviously it would be a pain connecting the tool you're using if you were say 3 or more days a week at it but as I'm just weekend hobby it's fine.

I have a 3hp dc-103 axminster plus
not connected yet
i had planned on plumbing but will go with just connecting to individual machines

Steve

Just bought a Startrite MDE HCS ex demo for £100 off new. 2hp single phase and a beast. Will be plumbed into a shed sucking from PT, T/S, Lathe, sander and usual stuff. Can't wait to get it fired up. Can be fitted with a proper filter but I will have it in a lean to so won't bother.

I have had a Startrite MDE-HCS. Very capable extractor, pulled a longer run than a double garage through 160mm spine. Used it on a 16" planer / thicknesser, spindle moulder, saw, bandsaw, tenoner, RAS Saw. No issues with pipes filling up due to insufficient draw.

Metal fan, simoly brilliant. The only 'fault' is the base that's a bit flimsy....don't step on it as it will bend. Simply fixed by adding an 18mm ply or MDF or chipboard stiffener underneath. Neatly hidden by the bent over edge.

At c£450, you will have plenty left over for the extraction plumbing and a few good tools.

deema":1rg5a9do said:
The only 'fault' is the base that's a bit flimsy....don't step on it as it will bend. Simply fixed by adding an 18mm ply or MDF or chipboard stiffener underneath. Neatly hidden by the bent over edge.

Great tip, thanks! Going to be in a lean to permanently but I have some 18mm MDF cut offs that will work.

My extractor is outside, can't hear the thing, so wired up a starter inside and added a red light to the circuit so when it's on I get a red glow in the corner to remind me to switch it off before I leave!

Back