Chest top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banjopicker

Reaction score
Nearing the end of my first real project – a pair of toy chests for my boys, hopefully finished in time for Christmas. They’re the ones in the Stanley Book of Woodwork, if anyone knows that book.

See photo from the book. Does anyone know where I can buy hinges like, or similar to, this? The back rail is 125 cm wide. I can’t find anything like this. Most strap hinges I can find are large, garden gate type affairs.

back of chest.jpg

One other question: I haven’t made the tops yet. They will be made from three pieces, edge jointed, fortified with biscuits. The book says “slotted bearers will help keep the top flat”. What are “slotted bearers” ? And do I need them? (if it makes a difference, the book assumes I’m using pine, but I’ve made these from solid ash.)

Thanks !

- Bernie

Attachments

• back of chest.jpg
    back of chest.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 248
Its a batton you screw to the underside of the lid. You put slots instead of holes in the battens and this allows the top to expand and contract without the screws being pulled out.

You could easily get away without using them its up to you if you want too.

As Chems says, they are optional. But it's worth remembering that as well as serving to help keep the lid flat, they are also a means of reinforcement. Yours is quite a big box, and in solid ash I imagine that lid will be quite heavy; being a toy box, I can foresee the lid may well come in for a bit of heavy-handed treatment :). I would have said it's worth doing in your case.

Hi Bernie,
I have had a bit of a search for hinges like that and have drawn a blank in the UK. I think you would have to get them made.
Though there are plenty of UK blacksmiths who make the usual range with the odd pretty example, including this one: http://heritageironmongers.co.uk/cabine ... eswax.html

Not so flowery but quite ornate.

Looking again, those hinges pictured appear to follow the step of the back of the lid. They would have to be made to fit or the lid have to be made to fit the step in the hinge.

Many thanks guys. Will pass on the bearers. And I think I've found a blacksmith (although they are pricey!)

Sorry, by the way, for the lateness of my thanks..... minor family crisis has meant I haven't been able to visit the board for a couple of weeks.

Back