Chess Boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motownmartin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I haven't been contributing to the forum much over the last few months, mainly because I have been busy doing stuff and its been the summer.

One of the things that I have been doing is making a batch of Chess Boards, some made from Walnut (don't know what type) Maple and Oak, some made from Walnut, Maple & Beech.

I started off making 15 and ended up with 12, I always cock up on something and the more complicated the job is the more cock ups I make, One of the things that I overlooked was that I decided to cut the mouldings on the frames before I assembled them, this made it very difficult to clamp together, you'll probably see what I mean when you look in the pics.

100_0551.jpg

100_0552.jpg

100_0558.jpg

100_0556.jpg

It all took me a lot longer than expected, it was a good job I got the timber fairly cheap.

That's really lovely.

Look on the brightside, if you'd waited to put the mould on till it was all done Murphys law says the router bit would have broken it all in half.

devonwoody":ocq6njsh said:
Good to hear from you again Martin, your board looks good to me but I'm sticking to your tissue boxes. :wink:

Hi John, I had a trade enquiry about those tissue boxes, only trouble was they wanted them for a tenner each.

Chems, you're not wrong mate, I would have ended up with about half a dozen.

Hi Martin, once again you under estimate the quailty of your work. I would be well chuffed if they were mine.

Very nice mate

Cheers

Mike

Very nice work mate. At the last company I worked for we did a similar project for school children when they come for "work experience". Obviously they weren't as high a quality as what you have produced. They did all the gluing up and I routered the moulding around the outside like yours AFTER the glue up...... and you were right to do it before the glue up as I did have one split up on me while routering!

Latest posts

Back