Chess board in brown oak, ash and black walnut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigmarshall

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Here is a chess board I have been making over the last few weeks (15 mins here and there), finished today in the couple of spare hours I had. The only thing left is to put some black felt on the bottom.

SS850371_s-full.jpg

The centre is brown oak and white ash, and the surround is black walnut.

It's not nearly as impressive (or big) as some of the things I see on here, but I'm really proud of it. It's the first thing I've made which I think "Hmm, that is nice".

I've also recently made a wooden bench (a seat, like a garden bench, but for the house) and a kingsize bed out of ash, but this is the first thing I'm really very happy with. That doesn't mean it's flawless though, several things went wrong, and there is much to improve next time!

Cheers,
Craig

I was thinking of making something like this with Black Walnut and Maple, how did you fix the edging and do yo think there will be any shrinkage or expansion with the squares,that is the only real concern for me.

Martin

craigmarshall":9gwdf0yh said:
It's the first thing I've made which I think "Hmm, that is nice".

...... and you'd be right! Very nice. Love the contrast between the squares.

motownmartin":kreiwtm8 said:
I was thinking of making something like this with Black Walnut and Maple, how did you fix the edging and do yo think there will be any shrinkage or expansion with the squares,that is the only real concern for me.

Martin

I used thick cyanoacrylate (superglue) and activator for the black walnut edging, I don't know how well or for how long it will hold securely, but it seems extremely strong at the moment. If it fails at some point, I will use something like titebond. I was a bit impatient and wanted to get it finished.

I used quarter-sawn oak and very nearly quarter-sawn ash (> 60 degree growth rings), so movement should be minimised, The squares are 8mm thick, on 18mm plywood (which I had to flatten), so hopefully the ply should keep things flat and stable.

Cheers,
Craig

RobertMP":1o5j5fo4 said:
Got that look about it where you want to touch it an feel the smoothness :)

Pawn to Q4

Your move ;)

I don't really play... yet.. I know how each piece can move, and I understand checkmate and stalemate, but I've never had any serious games.

I need to gain some lathe skills some time and make some chess pieces. I think that will take considerably longer to do than the board though.

You're right, it is very smooth, it's sanded to 400 grit. I'm well chuffed with it :)

Craig

PowerTool":3m1jp053 said:
Excellent piece,and great looking choice of timbers :D

Andrew

Thanks, though the timber choices was almost by accident, it was the result of going through the scrap pile and finding nice bits.

The plywood backing was from a sign for a local craft fair or something, that was in the workshop for recycling into jigs or similar. The black walnut was trimmed onsite from someone's kitchen worktop I believe, the ash was offcut from a bed I made a few weeks ago, and the brown oak was a sampler with oil finish that had been discarded for some reason.

Cheers,
Craig

Craig
That is gorgeous. I love it! It's one of those "simple but effective" things. You could have gone OTT with the edging and spoilt the simplicity but what you have there is a thing of beauty.
Cracking job!

SF

Hello Craig thats a very nice board you have made , I like the contrast between the timbers.

Qd4 someones giving away there age 1.d4 f5 :wink:

Simon

Back