Cherry Bowl.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
This is my first bowl of 2015, though i have turned ten more pieces of fruit earlier this week.
This is a simple Cherry bowl which i seem to be getting to like doing the shape of more and more.
It has beautiful grain and colour,which by looking at the wood to start with you'd never have thought would show.
It is 8-1/2" x 2-1/2"
Finished with food safe oil.

cherry bowl ukw.jpg

cherrybowl ukw.jpg

Attachments

• cherry bowl ukw.jpg
    cherry bowl ukw.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,464
  • cherrybowl ukw.jpg
    cherrybowl ukw.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,464
Classic Paul, would not have guessed Cherry, remarkable distinct figuring.

Lovely piece Paul, for all the fancy stuff I might do there's no beating the satisfaction of a simple bowl form and a nice piece of wood :)

Cheers, Paul

Thanks everyone :D
Phil- this log was left outside for a few years in all weathers,hence the staining, and was going to be cut up for fire wood until i cut into it and found it was good enough to use still.
I have had Cherry drying in all sorts of conditions and most of it still split even the blanks i thought were ok had internal splts in when i started to turn em.

Paul.J":3ewlum3h said:
Thanks everyone :D
Phil- this log was left outside for a few years in all weathers,hence the staining, and was going to be cut up for fire wood until i cut into it and found it was good enough to use still.
I have had Cherry drying in all sorts of conditions and most of it still split even the blanks i thought were ok had internal splts in when i started to turn em.
Reason I asked is I was given some ash discs which where soaking wet. I've put them in a bag of shavings and was wondering if there was a set length of time to leave them.....or do you use a moisture meter?

Phil i don't think there are any rules about drying logs,though the experts reckon it takes 1 year for every 1 inch of wood thickness to dry.
I've spent hours reading up on others varying methods of drying logs/blanks etc and have had varying successes on all,but still had a large amount of wood split,which just gets cut down into useable sizes for other smaller items.
I have had some Ash in my shop now for about 12 years which i got from the local park. I cut some down into 1" thick boards,a lot split,i have cut into bowl blank sizes taking the pith out sealing the ends with PVA neat,its split.
I've part turned it,left it in woodshavings,plastic bags etc you name i've probably tried it,like most others have and most has split.
The only 100% success i had was using the metholated spirits soaking,but that gave the wood a different feel when turned and a slight stain to the whiter woods.
I have had wood that was used for shelving where i used to work that was over 100 years old so nice and dry i used it to make summat and even that started splitting.
Its probably best to keep logs as long in length as you can handle hopefully just getting the splitting taking place on the ends but again some reckon once a log splits that split continues right through even though its not visible??
There are just too many variables in drying wood i think,especially the wood we all normally use/get from where ever we can??
Good luck :D

Back