Check this out...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittyhawk

Established Member
Reaction score
The picture is 9 days old.
They're meant to be Fokker triplanes but are so far only biplanes. Over the last 9 days all I've done is fill up my rubbish tin with discarded top wings, struts and undercarriages. Whatever I do turns to poo and I'm fed up with the darn things.☹
20220321_171642.jpg

The picture is 9 days old.
They're meant to be Fokker triplanes but are so far only biplanes. Over the last 9 days all I've done is fill up my rubbish tin with discarded top wings, struts and undercarriages. Whatever I do turns to poo and I'm fed up with the darn things.☹
View attachment 132820
They look pretty good so far, what are you struggling with exactly? Maybe someone will be able to suggest a different approach you've not considered yet

They look really great, but it's what you think of them that matters. They really are two little Fokkers!!!
As others have suggested, set them aside, go do something else for a while. When you return to them you will get it right.

What is happening to them? Maybe there is a different approach to try.

Pete
It's a combination of things.
I built an F1 Camel for a chap and he wants a Fokker Dr.1 same scale to go with it. The DR.1 is a smaller aeroplane with correspondingly smaller components and it's a struggle to get the required strength in wood.
Secondly, as I learn more skills I would like to up my game but my abilities don't keep pace with my aspirations and lastly, some jobs just don't go well and this is one of them. I'll be glad when they're done.

I was going to suggest brass or SS rod to make the struts and paint them but I think bamboo would be easier to work with, maybe from a small cutting board, flooring or countertop off cut.

.......different approach would be landing on a different runway. 😉

Pete

I was going to suggest brass or SS rod 😉

Pete
So last night after a week of fretting about the undercarriage the thought occurred, why not use a bit of bronze brazing rod and copper sheet for the base and darken it up a bit with acid..
20220401_111155.jpg

It took me a week to get there, I post my problem on the forum and Inspector Pete comes back with the same solution within 5 minutes.
How depressing is that..

A really productive day today with everything going to plan.
Obviously beneficial to have a good whine now and then...👍

So last night after a week of fretting about the undercarriage the thought occurred, why not use a bit of bronze brazing rod and copper sheet for the base and darken it up a bit with acid..
View attachment 132867
It took me a week to get there, I post my problem on the forum and Inspector Pete comes back with the same solution within 5 minutes.
How depressing is that..
That's more authentic. The DR1 airframe was of tubular steel construction.

Lookin Pretty Good so far!

Welcome to the big leagues. I have worked for three shops doing fitment jobs worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. You learn real quick on the machine floor and assembly floor what the term RECUT means!!!!!!

It’s not so much an issue of skills but an issue of design.The work you have done illustrates your more than capable of carrying thru the skills portion of the job!

You need to send it back to “Engineering”!!!! Rethink the use of materials. Several posts had some great ideas.

Don’t give up. Your doing just fine and need to take a slightly different approach. I mentioned the above to illustrate your not alone in your quest and you have gotten a taste of what many of us have faced in a day to day basis lonly on a smaller scale. Don’t worry as I know your going to pull this off!

You are not alone with this. The thing that keeps me going is that time is fast, 3 years hence if I do nothing I will still be the same standard, if I make mistakes for 3 years, maybe, just maybe I will improve….doesn't always work out, but mostly.:)

We all must have days like that where nothing seems to go as planed, you feel like your skills have gone on vacation and the only thing getting bigger is the scrap pile.

Back