Cheap Wickes Clamps - Slipping

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitzroy

All the gear...
Reaction score
Many of us jumped on the cheap wickes clamp deal thread so expect others are also experiencing. Of the 8 clamp I bought 3 are now slipping with only moderate pressure. I've had one apart to see if there is anything obvious I can fix/adjust but not found anything. They are really well built with a large clamping face a sturdy construction so I'd rather like to get them working again.

Anyone else having this problem and worked out a fix?

Fitz

Many of us jumped on the cheap wickes clamp deal thread so expect others are also experiencing. Of the 8 clamp I bought 3 are now slipping with only moderate pressure. I've had one apart to see if there is anything obvious I can fix/adjust but not found anything. They are really well built with a large clamping face a sturdy construction so I'd rather like to get them working again.

Anyone else having this problem and worked out a fix?

Fitz
May I suggest they are perhaps not quite so well built? That thread is from January this year, if that’s when you bought them, I’d be taking them back

Always a problem when you buy cheap because you buy again and again until you end up just buying some decent clamps that you should have brought in the first place. I started with the Irwin lever clamps because they used to do a great deal on them at the shows and they worked, but at another show there was a nice deal on some Bessey clamps. I had a job that was being a right pain in the butt getting a joint to close fully, so took the irwin clamp off and used a Bessey screw clamp and it just pulled the joint together, I just thought that I could apply more pressure with a lever clamp than something that needed rotation without any tommy bar. Now I just buy various Bessey clamps and there one handed clamp is very helpful, like having another pair of hands and that was recomended by a nice person on these forums.

Old thread in here by a member from Poland ( Niki ) who has since died suggested scuffing / roughing up the bars or tubes with sandpaper..tried it and it works wonderfully.
Niki's jigs
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/the-wonderful-world-of-nikis-jigs.107708/look for the "grips".
All Niki's threads are well worth a read, some of the images are now gone, and some of the thread URLs need manually correcting in the address bar since the forum software changed ( that could be done automatically in the site's "back end " via htaccess or in mod whassit )..Gold in old threads here.

Back