Cheap wet grinder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael7

Established Member
Reaction score
I see advertised

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 3&ts=26932

I know its not a Tormek but at less than four times the price its got to be of some use. They are also on Ebay and cheaper too. It does'nt have the leather wheel for taking off the burr so is there any other way around that.

What is it thats different except that it doesnt have a jig which as far as I gather is an extra for the Tormek?

A particular model on Ebay state the wet wheel runs at 134 rpm, is this about right?

eric this does not do the same thing as a tormek.

you have a higher speed grinder which needs more care,
and a wheel that does not i think do all the tormek does.

although the tormek is expensive, it does what it says on the packing,
and hones as well. with this machine you still need to hone.

maybe look at the scheppach or the jet.

paul :wink:

Hi Eric,

I recently bought the JET whetstone grinder. It's a lot cheaper than the equivalent Tormek (jigs too) I'd always regarded the idea of spending so much on a grinder as overly indulgent. However, since I've started using it I very quickly came to the conclusion that once again, you get what you pay for. It is superb!. I wouldn't have bought one for chisels and plane blades alone but with the addition of turning tools to my sharpening repertoire, it made more sense.

As the saying goes, the quality is still there long after the price is forgotten.

cheers,

ike

no that is definately not the jet. :cry:
not sure how topost the link, but go to axminster, then search on the site for jet

what i have found in the last few weeks, is that whatever technology i learn, someone somewhere finds a new tweak, and i get it all wrong, so better safe than sorry. sadly i have no 4 year olds to hand to teach me! :lol:

actually i really do think the instructions should be updated and simplified on the site. at least reviewed regularly. i like many am actually self taught on the machine, and find that if i do not use a facility regularly, i forget the nuances of everything. like using excel as infrequently as i do at present,
and as for sketchup, i still can't get my head round it.

anyway thanks for the help
alf, at least i can sharpen and fettle some hand tools :lol: :roll: :twisted:

Hi Eric,

Oh I'd forgotten that option. I looked at this a while back but that was before I picked up on turning. Yep, the Axminster machine looks a nice alternative to the JET particularly if your budget won't stretch.. Rather than a leather honing facility, the dry high spped grinder is equally useful for drills etc and rough shaping prior to using the wetstone. I see it has a 10" x 2" wetstone - same as the Tormek and the JET. That'll give a nice shallow hollow ground bevel. All in all a very useful, solid machine, streets ahead of the cheapy ones on offer and you wouldn't go wrong IMO.

Ike

Eric":1pjraeg4 said:
Thanks all for the advice.

I put "jet whetstone grinder" into google and came up with this

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... -21264.htm

I take it that is what you mean as the first result on google is one similar to what I'm talking about. I'm only starting out so I have other things I would like first.
The Jet at Axminster is roughly half again as much and without even trying the one you link to, I would guess is more than twice the machine.

I have both the Jet and a Tormek. I like them both for different reasons. I am suspicious whether the Jet will take the abuse we have put the Tormek through on a near daily basis--for 6 or more hours every time we use it. It shows no signs of wearing out.

Only time will tell whether the Jet will withstand this abuse. It is a nice machine and the variable speed does, well, speed things up a bit. I can say without hesitation the Tormek is all it is made up to be.

These type of machines are expensive. There are always less expensive options available. Most of my local contemporaries are perfectly content with higher speed dry grinders. I was as well up until about 4-5 years ago when I bought the Tormek. As I hone by hand, especially whilst working, the leather wheel mainly gets used by my wife for her multitude of turning tools. It does a superb job on these.

You can also choose to simply forego any of these expensive machines for a couple coarse stones and a final honing stone, and even sandpaper in several grits will do a very good job for little money to get started. I would recommend a guide, such as the Eclipse or its clones. This is the least expensive method for sharpening up front.

Take care, Mike

Latest posts

Back