Cheap cramps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jake - at that price for a decent sized 'F' cramp you can't go wrong - worth grabbing a few - Rob

Yes, that was my view too, so I ordered 24 yesterday (for the price of 3 Besseys).

I bought six last week. They are very cheaply made, very very cheaply made. Although the handle and clamping pad on the threaded end are OK'ish the F brackets on the other end are not at all flat or square to the clamping bar. But a few minutes on a grinder put that right and the plastic protectors needed hot glueing on because they kept sliding off when you try to tighten the clamp.

Lord Nibbo":3emkh3e5 said:
They are very cheaply made, very very cheaply made.

You couldn't expect any more at that price. Even at the original price they were at the cheap and nasty end of the scale. These are always going to be last out of the rack.

Although the handle and clamping pad on the threaded end are OK'ish the F brackets on the other end are not at all flat or square to the clamping bar. But a few minutes on a grinder put that right and the plastic protectors needed hot glueing on because they kept sliding off when you try to tighten the clamp.

Doesn't sound tooooo bad, but the grinding sounds a bit of a bore. Plastic protectors always go missing at least in my case anyway, so the hot glue is a good idea.

How insubstantial is the bar?

I don't know about these clamps but the problem with all cheap clamps is the threads on the winder, usually they are very coarse and therefore difficult to torque up the pressure by hand, if you look at good quality clamps they usually have fine threads.

senior":3ehmi857 said:
I don't know about these clamps but the problem with all cheap clamps is the threads on the winder, usually they are very coarse and therefore difficult to torque up the pressure by hand, if you look at good quality clamps they usually have fine threads.

The thread is as good as any of my record sashes, as I said in the earlier post the handle end is ok'ish, its the other end wot lets it down. :?

Latest posts

Back