Hello from a newbie - recommendations on bench grinder pleas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
narrowboater":2n7gdk4j said:
A builder friend of mine used to use a 240V angle grinder running of 110V through a transformer, to reduce the speed when cleaning out mortar for repointing brick work, This could, I stress could, be an answer for people who want a slow speed grinder.

It would also solve the problem mentioned above and give you the advantage of effectively having both a high speed and slow speed grinder. The problem being of course that you need a fairly chunky transformer.

I don't know if this a possibility, but I thought it was worth a post.
...Rod

Totally unworkable on an induction motor as used in a bench grinder.
The angle grinder would have been a series wound commutator (universal ac/dc) machine (brushes) and would work with reduced voltage under light loads.
An induction motor will have very little torque if supplied with half voltage and indeed may well burn out due to the lack of RPM under load and the resultant excessive current consumption.

Rod, I should have added that the speed of an induction motor bench grinder is dependant on the frequency not the voltage, it will always try to run at its natural speed.

You might find Bobs (9fingers) article on the subject of interest.

Cheers Bob

It was just a thought, but I am not an electrician, thanks for the advice, as usual this forum is full of good info and advice.

I will read the article. I must admit that I use a Creusen DS 7150 TS grinder which turns at 2850 RPM, and I find that with a light touch it works fine, however it is easy to go a bit hard and overheat the tools.

regards
Rod

I use the Creusen along with the Wolverine Jig made by oneway for all my sharpening. However I also keep a standard speed grinder along with the Sorby Fingernail profiler, this I use for shaping tools from old chisels etc or for putting the initial finger nail profile on a spindle or bowl gouge. Have had the Creusen for a long time and am considering changing to the diamond on metal wheels (CBN?) from The Tool Post

Hi Wouldchuk

Welcome to the forum. I've recently joined myself and have found it a great resource!

Like you I'm new to Woodturning, but have heard great things about the Robert Sorby ProEdge sharpening system. Might be worth a brief look. That's the kit I'm intending to purchase.

Jamie

Welcome to the forum.
As it looks as if no one else will say, these posts, are 4 years old.
It's easily done not looking at the post date. Regards Rodders

You could of course get a 3 phase grinder and use it in conjunction with an electronic 1-3 phase converter with variable speed. then you would have the best of many worlds :)

Or fit a grinding wheel into your lathe.

Back