Cheap Trend diamond stones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
klkarrier":53e82p48 said:
ordered mine there on thursday and it came two days later.. great service.. Do you use any lubricant with this or just dry?
I beleive you can use them dry. I've used water but don't like to for obvious reasons. Also used light oil.
Favourite so far was a tip from Paul Sellers who recommends glass cleaner. Found this to be good, cheap and easy to apply and clean.

Water or oil works, it supposedly helps the stone last longer than using it dry.

Well my second stone arrived today - and wasn't flat either. Also, it was so heavily glued in that prising it out damaged the thin diamond film on the fine side slightly (this isn't a quality bonded substrate stone) - still useable but watch out. I'd be careful of glass cleaner on these as I tried that and got rust spots within 48 hours! (after drying it). This never happened on the eze-lap plate I have.

Got the 5 for £20 deal. Arrived really quick. I shall have to investigate the reverse side, but all 5 of mine are flat - straight-edge to light flat, that'll do me. Quality looks very promising. I use mine for putting new primaries on old planes, chisels etc and previously used the cheap 3 for a fiver ones. Personally I don't worry too much about flat (within reason) as the irons go from this to a quick lick with 100 micron 3M.
I have a hunch these are very good and a right bargain. 5 should see me out really :)

3 minutes on an old Mawhood chisel that was in a fairly bad way:
t2.jpg

Exactly what I want these things for - very close to flat, close enough for me at this stage.
Maybe worth noting if you happen to be new to diamond stones, they feel really coarse and sharp out of the box, and in moments they become less so, but that's the initial cutting in. After that they are good for a really long time. Let's hope so in this case anyway but at this price it's a few sheets of very disposable abrasives anyway.

edit - yes I use a jig for primaries. Get over it, you freehand snoots :)

Attachments

• t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 424
condeesteso":awpe4yzq said:
3 minutes on an old Mawhood chisel that was in a fairly bad way:

Exactly what I want these things for - very close to flat, close enough for me at this stage.
Maybe worth noting if you happen to be new to diamond stones, they feel really coarse and sharp out of the box, and in moments they become less so, but that's the initial cutting in. After that they are good for a really long time. Let's hope so in this case anyway but at this price it's a few sheets of very disposable abrasives anyway.

edit - yes I use a jig for primaries. Get over it, you freehand snoots :)

Grinder for primaries then stone for secondary, looks wickedly sharp.

Thanks for the heads up.
I bought the book + stone & some filters for my mask all for £13 :D

2 packs of filters each one has a price ticket stating they are £21 per pack :shock:

Gerard Scanlan":22d5ci5d said:
Ordered yesterday arrived today. Thanks for the tip.
Ordered Saturday. Still waiting. Perhaps I should have waited till Monday. :D

Edit:: actually I ordered Friday. Blond moment.

lurker":2chmwza7 said:
Thanks for the heads up.
I bought the book + stone & some filters for my mask all for £13 :D

2 packs of filters each one has a price ticket stating they are £21 per pack :shock:
I get all my filters from eBay. They only pop up every so often and I wouldn't be surprised if they fell off the back off the back of a van.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Another happy customer here - great coarse stove for touching up primary bevels, cuts very quickly, and a steal at £5. Ordered some Air Ace filters too - many thanks for the heads up!

No skills":tx4y8g1z said:
Any ideas on what grit the finer side was? I've got 2 waiting for me at my parents place, sadly I can't wait to try them.
According to their webiste its course = 360 grit, fine 600 grit.

P.S. Mine came today.
Both perfectly flat. One had the fine side damaged when being removed as it had substantially more glue on so I guess that will be my coarse one. (hammer) But overall, bargain.

Really pleased so far. Been restoring the primary on an old laminated 2 1/4" iron out of a woodie (an old Marples iron I recall) - fast, easy excellent. Grab one while you can I think.

Back