Cheap sorby hollowing tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soylent1

Established Member
Reaction score
I was walking around an indoor market in my local town at the weekend (sheltering from the rain) and to my amazement I spotted two turning tools on top of a load of rusty old drill bits etc...that had been cleaned up and now are classed as ''vintage''. Anyway one was a Sorby hollowing tool RS200 I think? and another that looked very similar both were in the typical plastic sheath thingy that new turning tools come in (that's what grabbed my attention) anyway I just looked online and they are 50 - 60 quid! and the guy selling them was asking £24 each, What I'd really like to know is, are they any good? because if they are, I'll go and buy both on Saturday, providing he still has them! I could use one myself and then sell the other one to cover some of the cost of the one I'll keep! :p

Hi

If it has the three tips I'd say go for it. I have one and use it in shear scraping mode the most. I'm a big fan of Sorby tooling, all bar three of my 40+ turning tools are Sorby and I've never had one fail in 12+ years - neither have I yet worn one out through sharpening, (but that has a lot to do with the Tormek sharpening system :) )

http://www.turners-retreat.co.uk/multi- ... ing-tool-3

The other tool wasn't one of these was it?

http://www.turners-retreat.co.uk/tools/ ... m-complete

If so get back as soon as you can and grab it - very versatile tool

Regards Mick

I don't want to put too much of a dampener on things but they're only worth buying if they're useful to you.

Sorby sell a lot of nice useful stuff but they also sell a lot of gimicky things that even as a tool-aholic I can well do without. I made my own RS200-like tool and bought the cutters for less than £24 and I don't use it but you might.

HTH
Jon

Hi guys,

Thank you for your replies, I think they are both hollowing tools. I will go back there on Saturday and if he's still got them I'll buy them both and put one ebay, and if I don't end up using the one I keep I can always sell it as well, I don't think I'll end up out of pocket and I get a chance to use a different tool!

Latest posts

Back