Cheap, solid workbench top ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matmac

Established Member
Reaction score
Making a work bench the under frame is nearly complete and i'm looking at what i have for a top, which is 18 mm MDF with a edge structure of 64mmx44mm pine and i just don't think its man enough. I need cheap as chips but strong as ox and preferably has no chance of damaging any edged tools i put down on it.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Matt

when i was at college we had the typical college bench two big bits of pine with a full well down the middle so i just screwed down an inch sheet of mdf. nice and flat, easy to sketch and draw on, screw down clamping and routing jigs.

i found one use which was great sticking some sand paper straight down on the bench top then i had the perfect thing for levelling 4 legs.

the best bit is 2 years down the line when its looking well thumbed you replace it at the cost of £20

adidat

solid core fire door? if you have a look at your local door sellers, the chances are they may have one that one face is damaged and you can have. To buy full price would be about £50.

well two ideas really;-
1) use MRMDF 3 sheets thick, glued and screwed together. You could varnish the top. Ther thing to remember is that MDF will sag so you will need a dorsal spine underneath from one set of legs to the other.
2) Redwood form the cheapest local timber mill....FAS, select for yourself, glue up as a solid top.

Al

marcros":1re99vdg said:
solid core fire door? if you have a look at your local door sellers, the chances are they may have one that one face is damaged and you can have. To buy full price would be about £50.
+1 for the fire door - it's what I used, with a sheet of MDF bonded on top (makes it a bit thicker, better for bench dogs and hold downs), and thin sacrificial surface screwed/pinned onto that. I also screwed 2x4s under the front face, and two short sides, both to brace it a bit and to make an apron.
It's still dead flat several years on, & I've found it very solid. I would use the same construction again should it ever be necessary.

very interesting, ya ive herd alot of people say to use old fire doors. Think i will go that way but i do have some random bits of 2" pine i might joint up. Thanks for all the idea's, as always there awsome.
Matt

..try taking a trip around your local industrial estate especially if there are metal working shops there.. imported metal comes in huge crates or pallets that costs money to dispose of (I've collected enough to build a small house but H&S meant a lot of hoop jumping to get it out).

just an idea.

Back