Cheap planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alf,

Looks like a good usable tool, not cheap as the thread title says, looking forward to seeing the shavings. 8)

Alf, I ordered the no6 and spokeshave. Will try to review
the no6. Definitely will post pics.

Are you going to sand the handles? Matthew said they have a mahogany
finish and will scratch.

Looks like a real quality tool.

Regards,

Ali

Paul, yep. It may be your preference for it got me wondering. Yeah, that could work... I'll blame you. :wink: :lol:

Ali, dunno about the handles. As Matthew says, they do show the dings - this one came with one already and it does stand out. As with the rest, reckon I'll see how they go in use and tweak and modify as required. Be interested to see more of the spokeshave, btw.

Cheers, Alf

Going by look of Alf's pics, the 'big three' are going to feel the pinch methinks. I wonder if it's worth making a replacement set of handles for these planes, or even Matthew suppling them with alternative handles (much the same as the CI Fall chisels)
Just a thought - Rob

If I get a spare moment I'll have a tinker with the handles on one of them just to see what's underneath and then post some photos.

Darn it all! My wallet is feeling reaaallly conspicuous in my pocket right now - "set me free! use me! you know you need a good little block plane!" it says..

Would definitely love to hear about peoples experiences with these!

Cue drumroll.....

Cue stripper music.....

Ladies please avert your eyes....

Here she is....

QS5strippedhandles.jpg

QS5strippedhandles2.jpg

Not too bad really, the closest thing in terms of colour and figure is probably beech.

Yep, it's the same yukka plant handles with the mahogany laquer stripped off.

Personally I prefer the au-naturel grasstree to the laquered finish, I might have a word with them next week and see if they can skip the laquer for us or replace it with something clear.

I think you're right. You could be excused for even thinking it looked a bit like cherry :twisted: :twisted:

Honed up the No 6 this afternoon and it is excellent.

Crumbs. Does look a bit nekkid... But there is grain under there. Hmm, I may be moved to have a go at mine now, but possibly refinish with a less muddy stain. Not too keen on pale handles for some reason. Thanks, Matthew.

Hi all,
I have just made a big mistake and bought a Dakota No3 from Rutlands. Seemed a bargain - £20 off. Looked at Workshop Heaven's chinese planes and at Wood River planes and Toolmans . Comparing photos they looked virtually identical. My No3 Dakota is on its way back to Rutlands one hour after taking the plane apart. I found the frog was 1.5mm offset to one side as the threaded holes in the bed had been drilled 'off centre'. The frog had then been mounted at an angle and the blade and cap iron ground out of square so that it looked as though the blade was central to the throat. Might have to bite the bullet and buy a Clifton no3 unless any Mathew can reasure me about Workshop Heaven's chinese no3 ?
Regards,
Barry

turnerbc":2u49l4ie said:
Hi all,
I have just made a big mistake and bought a Dakota No3 from Rutlands. Seemed a bargain - £20 off. Looked at Workshop Heaven's chinese planes and at Wood River planes and Toolmans . Comparing photos they looked virtually identical. My No3 Dakota is on its way back to Rutlands one hour after taking the plane apart. I found the frog was 1.5mm offset to one side as the threaded holes in the bed had been drilled 'off centre'. The frog had then been mounted at an angle and the blade and cap iron ground out of square so that it looked as though the blade was central to the throat. Might have to bite the bullet and buy a Clifton no3 unless any Mathew can reasure me about Workshop Heaven's chinese no3 ?
Regards,
Barry

I think there is a reason why some retailer are later than others with these chiniese planes. They did their home work at the incoming goods inspection.

Cheers Pedder

Thanks for the links Alf. Its given me food for thought. I may well save up for a Clifton No3.
Regards,
Barry.

Latest posts

Back