Cheap planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Andy,

Absolutely, the scary sharp system and the kell guides work very well together, the No.2 or the No.3 Mk.2 are both excellent for plane irons.

andyw":26kbattk said:
grrr...hate you...resistance is useless...order placed.

HAHAHAH. I am thinking of ordering the No6 and spokeshave.

andyw":27leueyl said:
grrr...hate you...resistance is useless...order placed.
Weclome :lol: ...if you've ordered the KIII, have a trawl back through my stuff as I did a review of it recently (and how I use it) on this forum. Without re-raking old ground, it's very good indeed when you know how to use it correctly - Rob

Matthew can you post some pictures of the planes on the forum?

The pictures on your site are nice, but I can't see the much details
of the planes.

And a picture of the spokeshave would be great too!

Thanks if you have time to do it.

Ali

I note the rather lovely engineering square you're using to check your SS #07 - another car boot find?!

BugBear

You have a good eye there BugBear mate! Yes indeed....£10 for this brace if I remember correctly...and I was bitching and moaning about that price at the time....

DSC_0011.JPG

I now need to go find an old 1938 micrometer to go in that little recess in the purple velvet there...that ALWAYS bugs me when I open that box...like someone has nicked it overnight!! :D

Carrying on the bootfair theme.....No. 5 1/2 on the left...a fiver...and the No.4 on the right...£2....sharpened but awaiting some minor tweeking!

DSC_0016.JPG

So they are out there...and with a little care in selection and tuning they can be wonderful mid-range workhorses...with another hundred years in them.

There are many resources on plane restoration on the Net....let Google be your friend here but this is one I found...HERE

Stanley and Record (I like Record) are easiest simply because of their popularity and they come up all over bootfairs....

I have yet to add a Hock conversion...teetering on the edge of doing that yet....as I am not sure it is rather like putting alloys on a LADA but I have heard good reports and bad on trying this....the jury is out for me so far!

Jim

Jim

matthewwh":3t920tsm said:
I've just had precisely the same experience with a pallet of them.

Way better than I had even dreamt of hoping for. The low angle block and low angle rebating block are particularly lovely - working on the photos now.

I could not r esist and ordered one this morning... block rebating plane... waiting for others' opinions to get a N.3 too...
Alberto

ali27":psvwux74 said:
Matthew can you post some pictures of the planes on the forum?

Ali

Here's a handful, I only had about an hour so I had to concentrate on capturing the shots for the website, I'll try and get some more dismantled shots and closeups etc done in the next day or two.

LARBbl.jpg

The only way to remove the blade from the rebating block - you need to remove the brass screw that the cap engages on.

LARBdiss.jpg

The only 'internals' shot I have so far, nice casting quality on the steel and bronze components and general fit and finish is excellent. The black mark on the frog is a low spot on the casting but there is plenty of neatly machined contact area for the iron to bed on.

QSSHAVE.jpg

The only shot I have of the spokeshave so far, a very comfortably balanced tool though.

QS5.jpg

Front threequarter of the No. 5, again good castings and machining, the only unexpected thing I'm not so keen on is the mahogany finish on the handles which will scratch and show the pale grasstree wood underneath - if it were me I'd sand it off and refinish them.

There might be the odd tweak required - squeezing up the arms on the Y lever so that they engage positively with the adjuster knob, (less than half a turn of play on all the ones I've looked at so far), polishing out the odd scratch on the lever cap etc but it's all two minute stuff. The big jobs that are a real pain to correct like an acceptably flat sole and a properly heat treated iron are all as they should be.

I'd love to see how those spokeshaves compare to my boggs shaves. They're obviously of the same design. I also fancy a 5 1/2 if you have that size.

I do like the look of this stuff...it oozes quality for a very reasonable price. I'm sorely tempted by that rebating block, it's a lot less than the LN equivalent (by close to £100 if memory serves)
If I didn't have a decent compliment of planes that I was happy with, I think these latest additions to Matthew's arsenal of shinies would definitely get me slithering down the 'Sl.... 8-[ - Rob

I'm sitting on my hands here too, 'cos it's certainly tempting my curiosity. 'Course I don't actually have a functioning #3... :-k

Alf":1qigg77f said:
I'm sitting on my hands here too, 'cos it's certainly tempting my curiosity. 'Course I don't actually have a functioning #3... :-k

I have a spare if you are interested, I have two uk stanleys a shiny still in box one and a beat up old one that is one of the nicest planes I own...

Thanks, Danny, but I have a UK Stanley with its box too - I found out the reason it was still in its box... (hence the non-functioning comment). Not that I actually need a #3 at all; it's just a feeble and transparent excuse. :lol:

The trouble with a passaround is you have to give it back. I'm not good at that bit; the nice gentleman at the Post Office has to threaten to break my fingers if I don't let go of the parcel... But for those with greater willpower, sounds like a good plan, Matthew.

Cheers, Alf

As I said, I have no willpower... :oops:

quangsheng001.jpg

In an attempt to justify it, it's kinda a Christmas present, so I won't be getting any further than this just yet, but initial impressions are favourable. Hefty beast, thick iron and cap iron, surprisingly well finished, holds much promise.

Cheers, Alf

Back