Cheap Piller Drill Lidl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't really go wrong with that for fifty quid. You'll see straight away if it runs out of true. A very useful item in the shop. You'll be surprised how often you will use it once you have one.

Like Grayorm says, you should be able to see immediately if it is accurate or not. And you have 3 years to return it. For hobby use it is worth a gamble.

cheers guys, my thinking was the same as yours then :) - £50. so cheap its worth taking a punt on.

Also, if anyone's is interested here is the kit they are selling. Including a Miter Saw. I don't think I need a miter saw, but again for £50 Im also wondering if its not also worth taking a punt on.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-249 ... =485&ar=12

Matted":33r269vw said:
cheers guys, my thinking was the same as yours then :) - £50. so cheap its worth taking a punt on.

Also, if anyone's is interested here is the kit they are selling. Including a Miter Saw. I don't think I need a miter saw, but again for £50 Im also wondering if its not also worth taking a punt on.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-249 ... =485&ar=12

I bought a little cheap chop saw like that over 20 years ago, I think it was £25. It's still on the van. I'd like a shiny new one but it just won't die!

Matted":29vyw3g5 said:
As im always on a budget, and I don't want to spend a ton of cash on something I might not use very much (though if I did use it a lot I would probably upgrade later). What are the general thoughts on this???

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-249 ... l&id=20628

The kids bought me one which looks exactly like that one, except with a different brand on, from B&Q many years ago.

It has never been heavy used, and there is a noticeable wobble in the chuck, but it has come in handy many times.

The only thing that comes close for the price is the Silverline thing (there are many other clones).

From the pictures (which probably tells very little) it looks to be a bit of step up from that:

It has a 16mm chuck, whereas most are 13mm at this price.

It has a 500w motor, whereas the Silverline has a 350W motor.

It looks like a deal.

I checked mine is just 250w with a 13mm chuck, so this would be a considerable upgrade. :)

Don't think I will though.

If they have one out of the box check for play in the quill in a number of extension positions if its very loose leave it, think about drilling a hole with a fine drill its going to be to large

I've been thinking of getting one for a while, might just swing by on monday morning. I think that picture will be edited, could be wrong though.

I borrowed a clone version once and it was really inaccurate. I'll give it a go, you can always return them.

I had a cheap pillar drill bought for me as a present, it's a Nutool. It drills holes, yes, but that is it. I still have it after about 15 years and it has been incredibly handy. I would not want to be without it. However it does not have much grunt and it does not drill square to the table - I can see the thing move out of square as soon as I put any pressure on.

Overall if you just want a drill that is better than a hand held tool then go for it, at £50 you can't go wrong. You can always upgrade later when you can afford better and either sell on or keep it as a spare to save changing bits etc (or put an abrasive drum and use it as a sander).

As for the 3 year guarantee, well mine is going strong after about 15 years so you may not need it. Nice to know it's there though.

I have one from Aldi wthich must be about 10 years old now.
I'll have to check the specs on it, but it looks very similar.

I've recently had problems with the belt slipping, and discovered that the tension adjustment (bolts that hold the motor back) had come looose, so it was slipping if trying to use some bigger bits like hole saws.
I've now delicately re-tensionned it with a small crowbar, no more slipping belt :)

I've always run mine on the slowest speed, the theory being that some things NEED a slower speed drill, but nothing NEEDs a higher speed drill, so I don't have to keep fiddling with the belts, but some tasks may be slower than they might otherwise be.

I've never checked it for accuracy, but never really done much that requires precision. Sometimes I wish it had a bit more throw, and sometimes I wish it had an easier adjustment of table height, but it's much better than just a hand drill.

As a first drill press, I say go for it.

I've got a 5 speed 375w power devil... same layout, works fine for general use but I don't use any bits larger than 38mm... only issue I have had is with the guard it is a little flimsy and is needed for the depth stop so isn't completely removable.

So the lidl drill press with a bigger motor will be great if your looking for a small useful drill.

As for the mirror saw.... I have a similar saw and I'm not happy with it at all...

Laser was accurate for a short time but once out I couldn't quite get it right again.

The angle measure for tilting is on the back so not useful if your putting it close to a wall.

The locking screw for left or right mitres has a plastic triangle top which is quite saw on the fingers when undoing... if it's seized in place.

Just a few things to bare in mind if thinking often mitre saw... still a useful saw for straight cuts though.

Matted":2l9l8xdi said:
As im always on a budget, and I don't want to spend a ton of cash on something I might not use very much (though if I did use it a lot I would probably upgrade later). What are the general thoughts on this???

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-249 ... l&id=20628

Hello Matted. I don't know a great deal about pillar drills having only just bought one myself, but Screwfix have a Titan one for £35.00, and there's quite a few reviews.
If it's equal to the one in Lidl you could spend the £15.00 saving on the set of drill bits on offer today at Aldi, a 204 piece set £14.99. If you need drill bits that is :)

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-sf13n-height-580mm-pillar-drill-240v/54072

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-5-feb/product-detail/ps/p/204-piece-drill-bit-set-1/

PeteG":2bp2pr1d said:
Hello Matted. I don't know a great deal about pillar drills having only just bought one myself, but Screwfix have a Titan one for £35.00, and there's quite a few reviews.
If it's equal to the one in Lidl

The Screwfix one looks more like my old Wickes one than the Lidl one - most-notably 350W vs 500W on the Parkside model, and a 13mm chuck compared to the Parkside's 16mm.

My Wickes model has been perfectly fine for the price I paid for it second-hand (which was a pittance - certainly nowhere near what Wickes were asking!) but even on the lowest speeds it has about as much torque in it as my battery drill/driver. The only real benefit it has over the hand-held is that it drills 90-degree angles better than I do by hand. Unless you count "could club someone to death with it" as a benefit, anyway.

If my local Lidl weren't currently a shell in the middle of being rebuilt, I'd be very tempted to drop the £50 on the extra 150W and chuck capacity, and take the Wickes one apart to use the motor for something.

Yeah the Titan is definitely lower spec. Also not in stock online, and only available in some stores.

35 quid though...how do they do it...

Looks like you get a small vice with the lidl one too, I'll be picking one up and most likely the mitre saw.

I was looking at drill bits to go with it, would the aldi set be worth while ? I've got plenty of normal drill bits but dont have any flat ones but wondered if I was better off getting some forstner bits.

StevieB":1mlro7on said:
Looks like a keyed chuck in the picture - always a pain when the chuck key fairy pays a visit.....

It's worse if you forget to remove it before switching on the drill.

Latest posts

Back