Cheap Piller Drill Lidl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Willy":279mmdhn said:
StevieB":279mmdhn said:
Looks like a keyed chuck in the picture - always a pain when the chuck key fairy pays a visit.....

It's worse if you forget to remove it before switching on the drill.

A big magnet on top of the drill keeps her out of my workshop!

Completely sold out in all Irish lidls yesterday. Most gone by lunch time. Disgusted I didn't get one

Lidl site and app states Monday. I am going to give the digital angle finder a go I think...

You have to be careful with the dates - they do stick to them, I have made this mistake before, thinking they had sold out.

Bodgers":13e3ms3n said:
Lidl site and app states Monday. I am going to give the digital angle finder a go I think...

You have to be careful with the dates - they do stick to them, I have made this mistake before, thinking they had sold out.

I found the dates stuck to mine too....nasty things.

Graham Orm":1k2voc2h said:
Bodgers":1k2voc2h said:

I found the dates stuck to mine too....nasty things.
Very droll

Matted":23c84tef said:
on sale today guys,

Got mine this morning :)

Whats it like ? Dont think I'm going to be able to get there till this evening so fingers crossed they have a few :?

Picked up the drill and saw, there in the office atm so cant say what there like. Got to get them home in next few days, no way I can cycle with them as the Drill has got some real weight :D

OK people - the jury (for mine at least) is in :)

TL:DR - The pillar drill is a good un', if you are in the market grab one - FAST I went this afternoon and 3 (of the 8 they had) had already been sold.

I've got nothing else to compare it to but here's what I did:

Chucked up a 3mm drillbit (the smallest it would allow) - and drilled a bunch of holes some just the tip, some halfway and some through holes into 20mm thick expensive hardwood ply (the £70 a sheet kind). I then took the drillbit out and tried to insert the back end into the holes - it would only go in if the bit was vertical and even then required some pressure to do so - it was not even a slip fit, more like "use a mallet to drive it home" fit. The drill bits I use are not of the expensive precision made variety either - the "3mm" bit according to my caliper is 2.87mm.

The throw column also has no play I can detect throughout the full range, even fully extended.

I chucked up a spade bit and that also gave excellent results, there was a very slight wobble at the spade end, but that could well be down to the spadebit itself - again a no name version.

It's also quiet - the manual says 87db. Well either my ears are shot or 87db isn't half as loud as I though it was. My corded hand drill is louder. It may be worth noting I did have the belts set to the lowest speed of 500rpm.

Things to look out for in assembly:

The pillar column mounts are just threads tapped into the cast steel base - 3 of. After tightening I added 3 more nuts to the exposed ends of the bolts in the underside, could be overkill but I've got hundred of the things.

When swapping the belt settings it says to release a sprung catch on the side, when in reality it needs to be pulled back away from the engine mounting - I used a screwdriver to lever in between the catch and the motor mount, then tightened it again to leave the required gap.

You will also need to loosen the nuts that form the hinge swing assembly for the motor mount on the opposite side, otherwise the motor will not hinge forward to release belt tension. Once you've set the belts let the spring bolt go and tighten and it's fine.

The motor is mounted on the pole but only 2 allen key grub screws are used to stop it moving about the pole axis - no idea if this is the norm, I'm inclined to consider drilling those holes through the pole with actual bolts.

Lastly in use the whole thing makes whatever's sitting on the bench with it vibrate, nothing major, but enough to make me do something about it - I'm going to mount the base on some ply with some stick on rubber feet.

The separate clamp mount for the adjustable support platform only has a max capacity of 2.5 inches - so I'm going to have to do something about that - the platform itself could support a much wider clamp easily 100mm or so and probably more if designed properly.

All in all I'm so far very pleased with the purchase - though I've originally bought it to drill 2x 100mm and 2x 150mm deep holes that MUST be coplanar to each other (that'll happen tommorrow, the REAL test and something that I've tried to do four times with a hand held, both freehand and in a cheapo "pillar drill" drill mount adaptor - or the moxon vice I'm building will jam up like a SOB, four times, yeah... I used to have a fullsize wooden broom and handle, now the "broom" is a hand brush and what's left of the handle is barely long enough to be a chisel handle!) .... sorry I digress, anyway I'm getting other ideas for it that I doubt I could otherwise do with a hand held drill to the required accuracy.

Hope this helps :)

Got mine this morning, and for the price paid it is what it is, quiet, with non determinable run out at full extension. The belt guard is a tad flimsy in plastic. The little booklet that comes with the machine implys that 10mm was originally the upper drill size, but the quite reasonable chuck will take 16mm, and will probably do a reasonable job if treated as a lightweight machine with a big capacity.

It is not a Meddings or a Fobco, but does appear to be very good value for money, but don't drop it!!

G

At this price its worth buying one to cannabalise it.

I need a standalone disc sander. So remove the support shaft, remove the base and fix the head sideways on in a horizontal manner. Perhaps supported by a wedge made from scraps. Add a 12 inch or 9 inch disc to the chuck and we qare in business. Its got a stop start, a motor, 5 speeds and will not be too big. Hmmmmm!!

I think I got the last one in West Lothian. Visited 8 Lidl stores before I found one, hidden underneath a pile of Mitre Saws! Maybe someone hid it and was coming back later!

I'm Just nipping down to Lidl for some organic bananas, anybody need anything.?

Back