Cheap extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swirlyhammond

Reaction score
Having read threads on extraction, I realise the danger of dust inhalation, but I'm practically on a zero budget.

Anyone use a vacuum cleaner as a dust extractor? I'll be using a table saw, router, mitre saw and a surface planer mainly.

Is there a cheap way of hooking up piping to fit vacuum cleaners? (32mm I think)

Thanks

You won't get decent extraction with a standard vacuum cleaner, they just don't suck enough air through them and their filters are nowhere near what you need for protection against fine dust.

You should be able to hook your vac to the router, table saw and mitre saw but you won't catch anywhere near the amount of dust these machines will be chucking out - for that you need a high airflow extractor. Mitre saws are very difficult to collect from anyway but since they don't put out very fine dust hoovering up after use should be sufficient. I wouldn't even attempt using a vacuum cleaner on a planer. Since standard vacuums don't even have that much pressure I wouldn't be surprised if the larger shavings will clog up the hose and even if they don't the bag will fill up in no time.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful but the truth is you just can't do it for nothing. Getting efficient extraction is one of those things you just have to put your money into, or take the risks.

The solution I've gone for is this:
http://www.nmauk.com/scheppach/scheppac ... mv100.html
It's the cheapest solution I could find whilst still being effective. It cost about £100. Mine came with a 100mm hose - and i move the machine around from P/T'er to table saw to bandsaw and it works pretty well. I also have a long tough additional 40mm hose from Axminster which I use for power tools / router table and for general workshop hoovering. I would love a full plumbed in solution but don't have space apart from anthing else.
You need something pretty tough - because a they take a fair bit of abuse with large chippings and such like whacking against the sides often. The Scheppach is a decent grade of metal.
And these sort of extractors already handle fine dust particles.
I think Axminster do a similiar one.
Cheers
Gidon

I can recommend the Trend AF - this has a decent capacity and will handle large chips as well as fine dust. I use it with my router and SCMS and get 80% or so of the fallout.

I have not tried it with my planer/thicknesser yet as I need to get a step-up piece to meet the 4" outlet, but these are cheap and will do you as a temporary solution similar to how Gidon uses his scheppach. Not really a permanent solution, but at least it should help save your respiratory organs!

I use an old Vax mounted on a large plastic drum instead of its standard body.
It works very well so long as the sawdust is small - large chips can block the pipe and cause the drum to collapse. My next step is to install a larger pipe.

I too use an old Vax, but have it connected to a large plastic drum which I laughingly call my cyclone, but it works. The drum is vacuumed by a pipe vertically in at the top in the centre, and collects all the dust and chips with an entry at the top edge, with an angle that directs the stuff down around the side at an angle of about 45 degrees.

I've used it for many months, and have yet to get any stuff reaching the Vax bag. However the system doesn't clear all the dust - some still floats around the workshop - but it's no where near the problem it was previously. It works well with hand planer, belt sanders and two points on the router table. But only one tool at a time!

just looked at Nikis shop vac post - nice idea as it is quite portable.
I keep my drum outside so there is less problem with dust, it will die soon I think so I now have lotsa food for thought.

Latest posts

Back