Cheap 12v Vacuum cleaner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My late friend and myself built a dust extraction system for his small workshop by placing it outside. It was basically I large tall wooden box with a motor unit on top obviously we made it weatherproof but the advantages were that because it was outside it was quiet (in the workshop) It had a huge container and did not need emptying very often also all the dust was outside rather than in the workshop this was especially good when it came to emptying the unit.

I have a similar one outside my workshop (in a covered area) which collects from my planer/thicknesser it is connected up via 2" guttering pipes and works very well. It's just a wooden box with an old cylinder vac motor on top.

If you make your own collector devices you have the advantage that they can be made any size or shape to fit your workshop rather than a bulky round vac like a Numatic Henry.
(Not running down Henry by the way they are excellent UK made machines)

These 12v vacuums are not the same size as the Henry's and Hetty's, these are much smaller measuring only 20cm diameter and 24cm high and are very quiet but powerful enough to suck up your sawdust from what you are working, even if it is only 75w. Not quite your industrial vacuum but good enough for cleaning my scroll saw dust.

Tony I have been using my 12v vac today and it worked ok most of the time until late in the afternoon when it stopped 8-( It wasn`t warm but i did remove the filter earlier in the day and I think I have knackered it with too much dust lol will give it another go tomorrow as up until then it was doing a fine job.
I also got the mains lead for mine and if the vac can`t be fixed then it will do for something else. I think I will try my vac through my cyclone so the dust bypasses the vac so nochance of clogging the motor.

Claymore":1gi6woxp said:
Tony I have been using my 12v vac today and it worked ok most of the time until late in the afternoon when it stopped 8-( It wasn`t warm but i did remove the filter earlier in the day and I think I have knackered it with too much dust lol will give it another go tomorrow as up until then it was doing a fine job.
I also got the mains lead for mine and if the vac can`t be fixed then it will do for something else. I think I will try my vac through my cyclone so the dust bypasses the vac so nochance of clogging the motor.

I do believe you should only use it for 20 minutes MAX at a time and then let it rest for a couple. That's what it said in the manual anyway. I turn mine off every time I stop my scroll saw when I move my blade to start a new internal cut, seems to do a good job for me that way and it doesn't stop or cut out.

Brian when you purchased the mains adapter for your 12v vac, did you get the 5amp or 10amp version. I am thinking of ordering one and there is a difference of about 8 quid.

Charley

Buffalo Chas":pb8mdi51 said:
Brian when you purchased the mains adapter for your 12v vac, did you get the 5amp or 10amp version. I am thinking of ordering one and there is a difference of about 8 quid.

Charley

I posted a link to a 5A mains adapter a couple of posts back ( actually it's a 7A ) but will work fine for this vac.

Brian... why did you removed the filter cloth ?

Latest posts

Back