Charnwood wall mounted dust extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filsgreen

Established Member
Reaction score
Good morning one and all. I ordered the above from Charnwoods as well as extra fittings on Tuesday afternoon about 4pm and it arrived yesterday about 11am. When I unpacked it the supplied hose was kinked
effb5026.jpg
but it was easily fixed. As mentioned on another thread it is flimsy and it would probably break with constant use. I have bought additional hose at £8 a metre to use on the machines.

This is the kit unpacked, as you can see the air outlet is damaged on the top right corner, however it was ok to use
effb4b23.jpg

Installation was easy and when I switched it on I had a conversation with my wife ( came to see my new toy :p ) we could easily talk without raising our voices, well happy. I tested it by attaching it to my router table and it worked superbly. I then tested it on the waste in the bottom of my earlex vac sucked everything up perfectly. I spoke to the techie person at Charnwoods yesterday and he said it would happily pick up nails and screws without damaging the steel fan. Here is a pic of it in situ.
effb471b.jpg

The only fault I could find is that fine dust was blown out of the bag. I phoned Charnwoods this morning about buying an alternative bag that could filter, they explained that you could only use that bag as it acted as a filter as well as a waste bag. I asked him if you could put a bin bag around their bag, he replied that it would not work if I did this.

Over all I'm pleased with the extractor and I would recommend it to anyone who has a small workshop and an even smaller budget. this model was £99

filsgreen":1y69jhvq said:
I spoke to the techie person at Charnwoods yesterday and he said it would happily pick up nails and screws without damaging the steel fan.

Hmm some great advice from a technical support there. Picks up a screw - bang, hits the fan (fan OK apparently) sparks fly, drop in the pile of sawdust, smoulder for a few hours after you've left the shop before catching fire. :shock:

Adam

It sounds like you might be a candidate for a cyclone. Not sure how they handle the very fine dust, but I think they do better than the bags.

cheers

george

Adam":gmo58332 said:
filsgreen":gmo58332 said:
I spoke to the techie person at Charnwoods yesterday and he said it would happily pick up nails and screws without damaging the steel fan.

Hmm some great advice from a technical support there. Picks up a screw - bang, hits the fan (fan OK apparently) sparks fly, drop in the pile of sawdust, smoulder for a few hours after you've left the shop before catching fire. :shock:

Adam

Good point Adam, never thought of that :oops: I don't think I'll have that problem though as I intend to use it on my machinery, the Earlex will still act as the shopfloor vac.

George, what do you mean by a cyclone?

Phil

Great to see one of these in use as I have bought it from Woodex for a show price of ***** ( I wont upset you buy telling you how much less tha normal) I was told that it won't filter all the fine dust so I have purchased a micro filter 100 from Stiles and Bates, it comes with a spare filter and is worth every penny. mounted near the lathe it clear all traces of dust from the air within a few minutes. and as someone said earlier a normal vacuum for picking up the mess is OK.... But...

I visited my local market and bought a 30mm vacuum cleaner pipe with a metal cranked end for £11. I turned an adaptor to get from the 100mm to the 30mm, and now so long as I know I am only picking up wood from the lathe, the Charnwood is a great vacuum cleaner aswell :D . This has saved me space in the shed, and If I had not already got a vacuum cleaner would save money.

Latest posts

Back