Charnwood w020 router table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phillemare

Reaction score
Hello, I have just purchased this router table and I must say I am not entirely happy with it, my main reason for writing to you is I wonder if anyone else has had problems in mounting a router onto a table like this, and how did you adjust the height of the router and have you seen any videos on the subject?

Many thanks

I have a table very similar but not identical to yours. It is a few years old and I know it was badged as Charnwood or Record but the cast iron part where the router is mounted looks the same. The difference with mine is that the other half of the table is sliding aluminium instead of full cast iron.
I have the big Triton mounted under mine and it's been in there for a few years. As for mounting it, I removed the plastic base plate from the router and it clamped in OK albeit at an angle. The Triton can height adjust from the top but I haven't drilled the cast iron so I reach underneath to adjust the height.
I remember centering the router was a bit of an issue and I got an insert made with a small hole in the centre and made a mandrel to suspend the router in the centre of the hole and then nip up the clamps.
I have a collet extension that came with it but never needed it.
I think there are various methods of raising the router but I've not needed to get into that.
Which router are you trying to mount in it?

I have this table it’s very good bit there is a gripe or a good thing depending what work you do I suppose the fence moves in 2 separate pieces for I don’t need that so have a sacrificial fence
My router is the trend t11 there is 3 screws that got through the top of the table straight into the base of the router to hold it in line / underneath there is brackets with hex nuts to hold in place it’s really secure.
to adjust the router in the top of the table there is a hole that line’s up with the height adjustment on the router easy to lift up and down with a box spanner or hex key both fit and work well
I’m just going to work now if this is any help let me know i can sent pictures tonight

I have a table very similar but not identical to yours. It is a few years old and I know it was badged as Charnwood or Record but the cast iron part where the router is mounted looks the same. The difference with mine is that the other half of the table is sliding aluminium instead of full cast iron.
I have the big Triton mounted under mine and it's been in there for a few years. As for mounting it, I removed the plastic base plate from the router and it clamped in OK albeit at an angle. The Triton can height adjust from the top but I haven't drilled the cast iron so I reach underneath to adjust the height.
I remember centering the router was a bit of an issue and I got an insert made with a small hole in the centre and made a mandrel to suspend the router in the centre of the hole and then nip up the clamps.
I have a collet extension that came with it but never needed it.
I think there are various methods of raising the router but I've not needed to get into that.
Which router are you trying to mount in it?
I have a ¼ Makita router that I intended to use on the bench but decided it was too awkward to mount and too small plus the bother of removing it when I need just a router. Hence, I bought a cheap Silverline ½ and removed as much as I could, even the main body's return springs. Charnwood provided a mandril to centre in their wisdom, and that holds the router central and in place whilst clamping down on the underside of the table. I too reach underneath to adjust the height, where I have used the original adjuster epoxy resined to the underside of the table, such a bodge up. I know it will break soon as I need to drill a hole on the tabletop and fix a proper adjuster but scared to bits to drill the precious cast iron top.
Please excuse the late reply which is due to the aftermath of a Convid jab.

I have this table it’s very good bit there is a gripe or a good thing depending what work you do I suppose the fence moves in 2 separate pieces for I don’t need that so have a sacrificial fence
My router is the trend t11 there is 3 screws that got through the top of the table straight into the base of the router to hold it in line / underneath there is brackets with hex nuts to hold in place it’s really secure.
to adjust the router in the top of the table there is a hole that line’s up with the height adjustment on the router easy to lift up and down with a box spanner or hex key both fit and work well
I’m just going to work now if this is any help let me know i can sent pictures tonight
Thank you for your reply and I would very much like to see a picture of your set up.

This shows from underneath with the top raised. The insert ring is in place. What looks like rust is just sawdust

20171104_132602.jpg

This shows the Triton in place. Sorry about the dust, I hadn't lifted the top in about 3 years! The height adjuster is the knob closest in the picture on a Triton . I have never bothered using the top height adjustment and just reach under, unclamp, adjust and reclamp. Not obvious but the router is at an angle and not quite perpendicularto the back of the table. Makes no difference but the clamps seated better on a flat portion of the router base.

IMG_20210211_125729.jpg

This shows the top without any extension and you can see that the collet comes plenty high enough. I also agree with previous poster the fence is not great. Looks like it should be but in practive it is in two pieces and the outfeed either moves or is difficult to adjust. I am considering making something else for this.

I could drill for the top adjuster as cast iron is not difficult to drill bit it works OK as it is for me.

IMG_20210211_125941.jpg

Thank you so much, I can see you have gone to considerable trouble to get me these pictures which I have found very useful. I shall now look and see if I can get my collett a bit higher, but I do have an extensions collet which will probably do the job. Your table cast iron top is exactly the same as mine and I see the rough edges to the opening, only wish they had machined this bit. The Triton adjuster is more substantial than mine, so now I will be weighing up will it be worth while spending the extra on a better router, or which I think is more likely, see how many times I will need to change a set up and put up with the inconvenience.

Actually only the picture with the router in was taken today, the other two were from when I got the table a few years ago. With some of the bits I got with it there was an extender and I know the guy had the big Freud router in it before me. I think a number of routers require this extension I beleive. Something I do like about the Triton is that you can change the bits from the top as the spindle locks when it is raised above a certain height. There is a bit of fiddling with the shutter over the power switch that some people find annoying but I don't find it too much trouble. I guess it depends how easy it is to get under the table.
I have a few routers and wouldn't want to be taking this one in and out on a regular basis.
HTH

Back