Charges on imported timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumberman

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I must be the oly one who has fallen into this trap, but just in case I am wrong, I urge anyone who is thinking of purchasing timber from the U.S. or anything else for that matter, over the value of £18.00, to check before you buy.

I purchased several pieces of hardwoods from the States, including Walnut, cherry, maple, aspen, ash, butternut and
lacewood, costing £145.00 including shipping, which considering I was having trouble obtaining these woods in the U.K.
and the price here didn't ;seem to bad. I have not yet taken delivery of the goods yet, but I received a letter from the "Royal mail" saying that the wood would not be delivered until I payed to them a V.A.T import tax of 20% and a £8.00 handling charge, I am no mathmatician but 20% of £145.00 is only £29,00 they want to charge me £45.50 plus the £8.00 handling fee totaling £53.50, where they get the 45.50 V.A.T from I do not know. Getting in touch with these people is a nightmare
still trying to sort it out.

Harry

You will have to pay Custom Duty as well as Import VAT and probably VAT on the PO's handling charge?

Rod

Harbo":fh2pdjd0 said:
You will have to pay Custom Duty as well as Import VAT and probably VAT on the PO's handling charge?

Rod

Some things attract Duty, which depends on if they can be bothered. I recently bought a 3M PPS system from the US for my Fuji HVLP and had to pay 20% + £8, which worked out to £26.04. No Duty thankfully.

I know of some that haven't been charged anything. Pot luck sometimes.

Dibs

As Rod says, you will have to pay the Import Duty on top of the VAT, I was lucky the 1st time I bought from the USA, but not on the 2nd lets just say that as far as I am concerned they are ALL Dick Turpins.

Uk the best RIP OFF country in the world Hurrahh :x

CHeers

Dave

Imort duty was not listed only V.A.T and the £8.00 handling charge only thing I can think is they have rated the dollar value of $230 as pounds. An expensive lesson way to learn a lesson, won't be caught out again.

Harry.

You can appeal but only AFTER you pay!

I have been caught out on this where the value was 19 quid and the handling fee is still the same!

Tin

There are plenty of "import duty claculators" to be found on google, you can enter the valve and type of goods an it will tell you the import duty as the rate varies for different types of goods.

And remember you pay duty & vat on the carrage as well.

J

It's a bit of a lottery - I once got charged £12 handling fee on $18 worth of pen refills which came in a tiny Jiffy bag!

Rod

I have finally bitten the bullet on this problem. If I can't buy it in the UK, I don't bother. I just buy the next best thing. Thankfully, the remaining Lie Nielsen planes I need are available here!

John :lol:

I was once told that if the parcel is marked as "Trade Samples of ......" then giving the description of the contents you don't get charged the import tax on samples - Its worked for me in the past but that may have just been luck

I ordered some guitar tops from Canada total came to just over hundred quid including postage and they charged me £20.69 + £8 handling charge. They charge VAT on the whole amount including postage! I've had to pay quite a few times the bit that gets me is the handling charge as they just put the label on a package that they gotta handle anyway :shock: We must be one of the highest taxed countries in the world!

Back