Change of direction!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinks

Established Member
Reaction score
Well the plans for moving to north Wales to slow down and enjoy life before retirement are coming along nicely but its with a heavy heart that a decision has been made (against my wifes wishes) that wood turning may well have to go on the back burner for a few years!! Putting my kit into storage isn't an option and the likelyhood of a new property up north having a suitable workshop to move straight into is slim so I think I need to unload the contents of my shed!! Obviously for lack of hassle it would be easier to get rid as one lot....but where do I start with a fair valuation? I don't want to make a fast buck nor do I want to give it all away....basically its a Jet lathe, pillar drill, tormek t3 sharpening system with jigs, dust extractor, pen kits by the dozen, blanks by the dozen, chuck (patriot) with bowl reversing jaws, a large quantity of chisels (mostly Sorby), polishing kits....the list goes on and on....the t3 is as good as new having seen very little use and the rest of it all is in very good condition having been looked after well by me....there is probably loads of bits I have forgotten to mention but I just need somewhere to get a fair valuation.....Advice please guys and gals!!!

Hi spinks, I'd sell them individually on this site. You get good money for them and they go to a new home where they will be appreciated and used. If by any chance they don't sell then try E-Bay.

Suggest put all the proceeds into a savings account and when you find your new home with that super workshop, after you have filled the swear box, you will have some funds to buy another lathe, pillar drill, sharpening system etc.

Good luck with the move!

Regards Keith

i think that i would sell separately too- if you sell as a job lot, the buyer prices it as such and you will suffer financially. For instance, if I wanted to buy a lathe and drill, but preferred an alternative sharpening system, I would value the tormek at next to nothing. If I ddnt want to turn pens, then pen blanks are effectively scrap etc

Some things it may make sense to bundle together, but the major items should sell by themselves, with limited effort on your part- it isnt like trying to sell chisels individually.

The jet isnt a 1014 by any chance is it- if so, could you drop me a PM?

Cheers for the advice peeps....not sure on the model of the lathe...never really tried to find it....will go down the shed later and let you know!!

Hi spinks,
Whereabouts are you coming to . I moved to a village near Porthmadog 19 years ago from the Midlands. Best thing I ever did. Get ready to slow down, we don't move very fast as you will soon learn.

croeso i Gymru welcome to Wales.

Alan.

Doesn't sound like you have large pieces of equipment (the lathe is presumably a poolewood lathe, rather than a metal turning pultra lathe, who also had a model 15/90 lathe). Probably suitable for spare room or even loft storage in boxes. Don't be too hasty to sell would be my opinion - you will get 50-75% of retail price tops, less if out of stock or old equipment. If it is a hobby you want to continue then at least wait until you find your new house and assess whether storage is possible - it will save you lots of money in the long run. As stated, a garage or shed is entirely feasible for turning. If you do sell and re-buy new in a couple of years the money you get from selling will get you even less, so you are going to have 50% of the price you need tops.

That said, if you do want to stop the hobby or are determined to sell, then selling pieces individually is definitely the way to go to maximise profit, but watch listings and sellers fees in e-bay as you will obviously incur these 'per lot'. Also consider a compromise of keeping the lathe and tormek but selling the consumables such as pen kits to minimise clutter but not close down the possibility of starting up again for relatively little cost once you have moved?

Steve

Back