Challenge Xtreme Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hog&bodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Just bought one of eBay 13.50
It is light and has a Variable speed just big enough for jobs
that Are just about getting to big but to small to lug out the
big router...If that makes any sense...!!!.:lol:
Tried it out and it was very smooth plunger.
Now have the 1/2" collet and the 1/4" collet is there a
dovetail jig that will fit both or is it asking to much...lol
Or has any member got a spare they want to sell..?

most dt jigs require a 1/2 inch bearing/bush. as long as you have this, and a half inch cutter, you should be ok regardless of shank/collet.
having said that you will be hard pushed to find a half inch shank DT cutter to fit these stats.

hth

neil

Thanks neilyweely Perhaps I should try and find a tutorial
on dovetail jigs..have cut few by hand and they did not turn out
to bad..very laborious and time consuming.

So any more help would be appreciated ...
Thanks
Alex

Used it again this morning...The bit slips out of the
collet..Put a new on in and it did the same..
Was trying to do a very deep cut..
It is fine on multi-passes in the wood, also checking the locking nut
every few cuts..Perhaps it will work better if I buy some
better quality Bits.
So stay clear of this model... :oops:

I brought an older version of this model five years ago. It's only just let me down, the plunge lock catch wont lock anymore, however someone on here said that if i take it off and fix it back in again it should be okay. Failing that, I will be investing in an expensive trend model! :lol:

I dont have this particular model router, but I do have another cheapo one, a Power Devil :lol: , have the thing about 7 or 8 years now and only yesterday the thing died on me (brushes wore down), damn was I dissapointed when it stopped. Its a grand little neat one, quarter inch collet, and useful for light jobs. When compared to the 1,200w Ryobi router I got recently the PD looks like a midget :p

t4ek-275.jpg

Its basically that router, but red and black!

So, with a little help from a couple of spare Aldi gringer brushes I was able to get her up and running again! Boys was I happy 8)

Speaking of bits slipping in the collet, my 1/2" Ryobi seems to slip bits when I'm using the 1/4" collet insert, bit annoying really! :roll:

I was in Fcous, Do It All, this afternoon and really had to pull myself away from a router that was on sale at only £10!!!! I know cheap tools are mean't to be a false economy, but at that price if it lasts me five years, Its actually cheaper than buying an expensive Trend that might not last me til I'm seventy or summat :shock: :roll:

At £10 it's worth buying if only for that horrid job where you don't want to risk a good router - can't think of one at present but one's bound to pop up at some point.

Yes, five years - I say five because thats how long my last cheapo's just lasted me, I want to buy an expensive trend now, but at £10 a router, replacing every five yeard, by time I'm 70 it still wont have cost as much as an expensive trend! :wink:

KFC? You mean their prices going up? or ? I dunno?

That's why I will be investing in a TREND T5 or T10, if I can't fix the plunge lock on my Challenge Xtreme, I am done with cheapo tooling!

joiner_sim":1re8s6gp said:
KFC? You mean their prices going up? or ? I dunno?

That's why I will be investing in a TREND T5 or T10, if I can't fix the plunge lock on my Challenge Xtreme, I am done with cheapo tooling!

Found the cheep ones are lighter and good for free hand work.
As someone said "not bother if you mess them up a bit"
I found it was just the bits they where well used and the shanks
not gripping in the collet...got few from B&Q and all is well.
So Cheep Tools have their pluses and minuses.
Would never buy cheep chisels or screwdrivers and I bet most of us
are the same but cheep power tools seem to call to us :lol: :lol:

Back