Cellulose Sanding sealer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braveheart

Established Member
Reaction score
:?: Hi everyone, will somebody please advise me about the application of Cellulose sanding sealer . I belive that you can thin this product using appropriate thinners, but in what quantity, thinners to sealer and what is the best way to apply by brush or cloth. Many thanks.

Yes you can thin it with cellulose thinners.

Rate really depends on several factors; type of wood, size of piece being coated etc. basically it's a case of experimenting and developing your own preferred method of using it.

The main problem with using sealer undiluted is that on larger items you are likely to get uneven absorbtion, runs and streaking build up if you try to burnish it.

Try diluting it 20-30% for starters, sometimes I go as far as 50%.
I personally find it easier to apply more than one coat of thinned sealer (cutting back between coats) to obtain an even coat/finish than one thick coat.

I sometimes apply with cloth whilst stationary and continue to burnish finish with still wet cloth whilst rotating. (usually small items)

On larger items I use a paint brush to apply diluted (Quicker and better for the hands)

I store the brush in the bottle of diluted sealer so that it does not dry out.

A couple of links showing diluted sealer and Brush in use.

Morning.
Like Chas I use it mainly diluted (works out a lot cheaper :lol: )
I keep an old jar with the brush stuck in the lid with a 50/50 mix and use it when sanding down. Put the lid back on when not using ass it thickens up as the cellulose stuff dilutes.
Different woods soak it up at different rates but it als seems to help when there is intransigent end grain toeal with.toughens it up so it sands easier.
If you use it undiluted be careful doing it with the wood spining as it can go streaky and it's a pig to get off. I usually resort to scraping it off with a pen knife.
Hope this helps

Pete

Bodrighy":3p7cdkrh said:
If you use it undiluted be careful doing it with the wood spining as it can go streaky and it's a pig to get off. I usually resort to scraping it off ....

same thing happens when burnishing it if there is a thick coating Pete, try a wet cloth dampened with cellulose thinners to blend them back in.

CHJ":3tx6wwn9 said:
Bodrighy":3tx6wwn9 said:
If you use it undiluted be careful doing it with the wood spining as it can go streaky and it's a pig to get off. I usually resort to scraping it off ....

same thing happens when burnishing it if there is a thick coating Pete, try a wet cloth dampened with cellulose thinners to blend them back in.
#-o hadn't thought of that....obvious really. Thanks

Pete

Hi all,

I dilute the sealer with an equal volume of cellulose thinners. I usually apply it with a cloth or paper towel with the lathe off, spreading it quickly and as thinly as possible over the surface and rubbing it in. Do this quickly and keep adding more to the cloth. The aim is to keep a 'wet edge' going so you don't get patches.

On large items I put it on with a brush but still spread it/rub it in/wipe it off with a cloth. Keep the coating thin and go over the surface at least three times - extra coats do make a difference to the finish.

It dries very quickly and I usually finish off by turning the lathe on and buffing it very gently and very briefly with the cloth that is still damp with the sealer. Don't apply pressure or you melt the sealer and get the problems described above. I then usually polish with a mixture of beeswax and carnauba wax.

Bob

PS If you use cloth don't wrap it round your fingers. In fact, don't wrap it round your fingers whatever you use!

Bob Chapman":1zp9utf8 said:
PS If you use cloth don't wrap it round your fingers. In fact, don't wrap it round your fingers whatever you use!

I did a little write-up on that last year when safety cloths were the subject of discussion but never got round to posting it, but have now put it in a thread.

See Here

It's also available as a PDF See here

hi all i use both chestnut sanding sealer and melamine lacquer,Question i usually dilute 50/50 to both using this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221208518243? ... EBIDX%3AIT

but i found this and wondered would it make a real difference only its like 8 times as much for extra £8 ish http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301362434625? ... EBIDX%3AIT

i use the sanding sealer all the way threw the process of finishing helps a lot and usually apply 4 coats of lacquer then i use a small rag i know rag oh dear to buff the lacquer under friction to a real high gloss finish then i buff on a wheel with 100% carnubba wax result outstanding,so i wondered would that cheaper thinners really cause a problem.hope somebody has some input.cheers all

Wow, this is an old thread. :)

The late, great Mark Raby, who was an expert on finishing & finishes, always told us not to buy thinners from high street auto part shops unless it was 99.9% pure. Apparently there is a lot of reclaimed thinners on the market which has a lesser level of purity & causes various finishing problems for wood turners.

I thin mine by about a third & apply with a rag on small items, turning the lathe by hand.

Back