Ceiling coving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartpaul

Established Member
Reaction score
We've had a false chimney breast installed together with a gas fire. I'm going to fit coving to make it fit in better with the rest of the room and need to 'mitre' the new corners to give a seamless feel.

Is it best to try and 'scribe' the new coving to the old (doable I think with a bit of filler after to make good) or cut the old coving to make a new mitre? This is going to be difficult but not impossible. Scribing will be a bit hit and miss as you can't do the old 45 degree trick to cut the mating surface.

I'm not a massive fan of coving but I'm not going to rip out all the old stuff to make it look the same. And yes, it does need doing. Without the coving it looks unfinished and sticks out like a sore thumb.

Is the new coving the same as the old? If it is you just need to cut a 45 degree end as you would to mitre the corner and then take off the sharp bit at the end to make the scribe. I'll bet that's as clear as mud! Just cut a mitre and hold it up, it will be obvious, This could be an ideal job for a multi tool, cutting the old coving would be easy.
Mike

If the corners are less than perfect right angles then it's probably going to need a bit of filler whichever way you do it.
I assume it's plaster coving, is it ogee or just plain convex stuff? Either way once you've fitted it, a bit of filler if required then decorators caulk in the join,couple of coats of paint and jobs a good un.

Thanks all. Yes it is plaster coving and I have a multi tool so that bits OK!

Not sure I understand the 45 degree comment but as you say just have a go. I have got some spare so a cock up is a part of the learning process.

Those corner things aren't for us. We don't have them now and I'd prefer not to have them if avoidable.

Ah well, - dust and swearing here we come!

Knock up a quick mitre box, mitre it, cut to the mitre/scribe line and offer it up to the existing. Make your mitre box so the coving sits in it as it would against the ceiling

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back