Cedar cladding.....needs replacing due to wrong nails used

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Benchwayze":1yz08ltd said:
Chris.

I can only repeat, use plugs to hide the nails. If you don't want to go to the expense of buying a plug cutter, just use dowels. For dowels, counter-bore with a 10mm drill bit, and nail or screw the boards through the holes, finally plugging the hole with a dowel. Sheradised fixings at least should be used, but you'd probably get away with any of the rust-proof fixings. For instance, Kreg screws would be fine, and they hold like fury. Over time you will hardly notice the plug/dowel as the cedar weathers, and even if you do, they will look better than the stains. One 250mm dowel will probably fill two or three holes, if you cut them off with a flush saw.

HTH

John
The way iron stains run, he'll probably need 50mm dowels. :)

True Phil, but I thought the final decision was to renew the cedar altogether.
Anyhow, plugs is the way I'd go. Looks better to me! But then I was always plug-ugly! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the new replies folks, very much appreciated. Yesterday I treated all the nail heads with the oxalic acid and have to say it's done a great job of removing the stains. Even the really big, dark stains.

However, I guess they will just come back as the nail continues to oxidise? A friend mentioned treating the nail heads with something like "straight to rust" paint or Owatrol oil. Anyone used those products?

Reckon that might be worth a shout?

The idea of dowel plugs sounds like something beyond my skills!

Also, I'm tempted to just leave things and see how badly the stains come back. Plus 1hr to treat them every few weeks seems a reasonable option vs £450 for new cedar..... With the money saved paying for the topsoil and turf we need to finish things off. And perhaps when it all weathers, it might not be so bad anyway.....and I've got over the whole saga and sit in the new garden with a beer instead! :D

Latest posts

Back