Cat House Build - need input

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hiya,

Our kitten has just had his last jabs and is now allowed to go outside, The family though want a shelter for him on the deck just in case he gets cold etc,

They want this

http://www.leokempf.com/cathouse/

does anyone have the time to create an exploded diagram for this, or advise me the best approach at going with this, if i download sketchup - can i do it quickly ?

I have plenty of materials for it, deal for frame, and ply for skin, and some plastic for the window. just wondering about a frame to skin ( pardon the pun ). and what shape the frame should be.

Thanks

laurence

Thanks
Laurence

I really like it, I've been thinking about something like this for a while. Not as nice as that though

John

Hi John,

It does look great, much better looking than the dog kennel type i have seen,.

tried to import into sketchup as photo, i thought i might be able to do this then explode it - - things a nightmare, i ended up with a Picasso

Looks fantastic, but if your cat grows into anything like one's we've had, the LAST place it will sleep is there!!
Current one insists on a "cat flap", i.e, the back door, being kept open so she can hurtle back inside if a bird cheeps too loudly at her.......

I think it's great, but it's a bit top-heavy to be free standing. One gust of wind and it'll be upside-down. It'll have to be fixed to either wall or deck, somehow.

As to framing, if it's made from something like 1/2" marine ply, it could just about be glued and screwed together without framing, if something like no.6 screws were used, and holes pre-bored for the screws. Come to that, 1 1/4" panel pins driven in dovetail fashion would do the job.

As to framing, if it's made from something like 1/2" marine ply, it could just about be glued and screwed together without framing, if something like no.6 screws were used, and holes pre-bored for the screws.

That's exactly how I'd do it too, you barely need an exploded diagram, just cut the bits out and stick 'em together! Not quite sure how the base works though.... Lucky kitty!

Hi Laurence
I think I would put a slight slope and overhang to the roof, as it is for outside.
And possibly make the back removable for cleaning rather than the top.
The sloping ramp appears a bit narrow and steep for a mature cat but should be OK for a kitten.
Cheers John

That looks neat! Love the little art gallery inside. You could go to town the on decor :D

We've 2 cats and one of them won't go outside, always fancied building one of these concealed litter trays/benches for him

http://www.kattbank.com/home.htm

The griddle to catch the litter is a pretty neat idea, not sure where they get the $2250 + price tag from tho :shock:

Looking forward to seeing the build loz

Thanks everyone for the advice, !

I think i might attempt then frameless and just screw the ply together.

I made a cardboard 1/10 model at the weekend with the kids, and even that was top heavy - so a larger based screwed to the decking is in order.

Thanks for te comment about the slope also, ill have the slope hit the far wall rather than the centre of the living platform, should be less steep then ,and ill add some strips for grip, so its less of a slide !!

Latest posts

Back