Cascamite/Resintite etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanser

Established Member
Reaction score
Some advice please?

I've done a couple of mixes of Resintite - followed the instructions to the letter 3.5 of powder to 1 of water and so on. 1st batch I chucked away- lumpy. 2nd batch was just usable - but no 3 hr pot life for sure.

What is the consistency I should be aiming for?

Hi Hanser,

Difficult to describe, but:

Thicker than pouring cream, and thinner than toothpaste.
I don't measure proportions.

I put the powder in a container and dribble water into it, stirring all the time with piece of dowel or similar. Keep mixing until the stuff thickens up without 'curdling'. Occasionally, no matter what, it goes lumpy.

What you will need to do is get used to how far any given amount of glue will go, otherwise you'll be left with stuff that you can't use, which as you found out, goes off quite quickly.

HTH
John
:)

Hi

I am a fan of Cascamite and use it for all large glue-ups.

I have never used the volume method and always weigh out the powder and water.

I use a small set of electronic scales and 4 little plastic pots including one to mix the glue in.

1. Rinse out 3 of the pots but don't dry them - this way you have already allowed for the small loss of liquid that arises when you transfer from one pot to another (the mixing of Cascamite is very sensitive to changes in quantities).

2. Weigh out x grammes of powder in the dry pot - it takes a bit of experience to judge how much but in my experience (!) it is infinitely preferable to do too much rather than not enough as it is a real hassle to make up more if you run out in the middle (actually invariably at the sweaty point) of a big glue-up. I usually note on the tub what quantity I used for a job, so I can use it as a future reference point.

3. Weigh x/2 grammes of water - this gives the required quantity, but I usually add another gramme (to say 50g of water) as I prefer a slightly more runny mix.

4. Weigh half of the water into the mixing pot - actually it is better to make it just over half by a gramme or so.

5. Add all of the powder to this and mix with a stick. At first it will seem like it is far too much powder for this amount of water, but after a minut or so, it will convert to a smooth thick consistency. Ensure that it is quite smooth and all small lumps have been absorbed.

6. Add the remaining half of the water and stir in until is is all the same consistency, which should be fairly runny.

I usually apply this glue with a stiff brush either a glue brush or if it is a door glue-up with big tenons, I use an old 1/2" paint brush.

As to working time, I would comfortably expect it to be workable for an hour, but three hours would only be achievable if it was very cold I would think.

Clean up is best with hot (tap) water and some washing up liquid.

Hope that helps and better luck next time.

There was an article in F&C this or last month which has a good summary of glues - I have yet to read it properly.

Cheers

Scholar

I use one of those sprays that shower cleaner etc. comes in. Washed and filled with water then (If memory serves) about two squirts from it to a heaped teaspoon. Those little wooden stirrers you get with coffee are excellent for mixing.

As Benchwayze said a little thicker than pouring cream. Or, to slip into namesake mode, about the consistency of a good bechamel sauce. :roll:

Niles Crane":frdhcc9q said:
I use one of those sprays that shower cleaner etc. comes in. Washed and filled with water then (If memory serves) about two squirts from it to a heaped teaspoon. Those little wooden stirrers you get with coffee are excellent for mixing.

As Benchwayze said a little thicker than pouring cream. Or, to slip into namesake mode, about the consistency of a good bechamel sauce. :roll:

Strange.... I was thinking of a suitable 'sauce' to compare the viscosity against.. Custard varies with taste, ketchup would be too thick! Well-shaken 'Daddies' is about right!

:lol:

I was told to mix it gradually to 'dripping' consistency. Add water to the powder in small doses and mix thoroughly, until it will just drip off the end of the mixing stick. If it won't, add a dash more water and if it's too runny, a pinch more powder - Rob

woodbloke":1n6jz7nl said:
I was told to mix it gradually to 'dripping' consistency. Add water to the powder in small doses and mix thoroughly, until it will just drip off the end of the mixing stick. If it won't, add a dash more water and if it's too runny, a pinch more powder - Rob

Succinct Rob, and quite correct. Why didden I think of that! I do know that Cascamite, (as I insist on calling it) is great stuff outdoors.

:wink:

John

Guys

Many thanks for the replies. I'll alter the consistency, slightly.

Even lumpy and 'orrible it still sticks like........

I've just started using this glue as i was unhappy with the polyurethane glue, the one that expands. It's a bit of a pain having to mix it but i think it's performance is good. I find mixing it to a paste consistency helps reduce lumps and then add more water till it is the consistency you want for your application. It reminds me of a fameldihide (spelling) glue i used to use for outdoors applications but is easier to mix and less stinky.

Thanks for the tip on cleaning brushes, water alone seems to not be enough and am going through to many brushes.

Hi Woodsworth

If you are getting through too many glue-brushes, save up 'ice lolly sticks'. They make good glue appliators, especially for dovetails.

John :)

woodsworth":1rkdzyf7 said:
Never thought of using sticks, duh... Thanks

My pleaseure..

They make good glue miixers too... Saves messing about looking for that piece of scrap that is just the right size. I get my grand-daughter to drop all her lolly sticks in a box in the porch. I wash them and take into the shop!

I even eat a lolly myself now and then! :lol: :lol:
Cheers

Benchwayze":2bay1a10 said:
I even eat a lolly myself now and then! :lol: :lol:
Cheers
John, you should be ashamed of yourself! :lol: ..fancy blagging a lolly of your grandaughter, not the sort of thing I'd do :whistle: - Rob

If you find it's too lumpy, keep mixing and it should even out. That's what I normally find, anyway. :)

I find adding too much water straight away, sometimes makes it lumpy, especially when mixing a kg or 2.

When washing rollers or brushes, warm or hot water helps tremendously, especially when it's starting to go off.

Hi

I would agree with Scholar that mixing by weight is best, I also use his mixing method ie add all the powder to half the water mix to a paste then add the rest of the water.

Casual mixing and judging by eye can lead to problems lumpiness or failed joints.

I may sound like an old foagy now, but I am sure Resintite (or whatever it's called) is not the same as the old Cascamite. It has more of a urea odour and it's pot life is much shorter. I use Borden One-Shot from Rydenore, who tell me it's the original.

I am sure someone on the forum is now going to tell me they are identical!

Chris

Still swear by the stuff! (Though I've not tried the latest renamed form). Only point I would add is to support the "powder into half the water" process, rather than the other way round. I find that adding water to the dry powder is a sure way to get lumps. Though they finally disperse with lots of stirring.

Latest posts

Back