cascamite not setting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deansocial

Established Member
Reaction score
as the title says its not setting. Repaired a coat stand i aquired lastnight and got up this morning to find it it bits again when i took the clamps off. It just seems to go chaulky not hard at all? its stored in an air tight container in the garage

Deansocial":2zwgygt4 said:
as the title says its not setting. Repaired a coat stand i aquired lastnight and got up this morning to find it it bits again when i took the clamps off. It just seems to go chaulky not hard at all? its stored in an air tight container in the garage

Havent had any major problems myself over the years with cascamite or its other trade names but it definitley goes off quicker if its warm and very slowly if its cold. Setting time can be very variable, so I always leave the excess unused mixed glue sitting in a container next to the job and wait until its rock hard before removing clamps, which can sometimes take 24hours. Quoted working temp of room is supposed to be min 15 deg C. I cant see the dry stored powder coming to any harm if stored cold but it might be the workshop temperature where you are using it. You can speed up the setting if the room is cold by mixing it with luke warm water, or there used to be a hardener available, but I found either of the latter 2 short cuts lead to less strong/hard set glue.

pat

coille":2jguzeeb said:
Deansocial":2jguzeeb said:

Havent had any major problems myself over the years with cascamite or its other trade names but it definitley goes off quicker if its warm and very slowly if its cold. Setting time can be very variable, so I always leave the excess unused mixed glue sitting in a container next to the job and wait until its rock hard before removing clamps, which can sometimes take 24hours. Quoted working temp of room is supposed to be min 15 deg C. I cant see the dry stored powder coming to any harm if stored cold but it might be the workshop temperature where you are using it. You can speed up the setting if the room is cold by mixing it with luke warm water, or there used to be a hardener available, but I found either of the latter 2 short cuts lead to less strong/hard set glue.

pat
i did the repair in the livingroom which is always 20 degrees so no problem with cold, also mixed with luke warm water.

How long have you had the powder as it does have a shelf life
Also are you adding water to the powder and not making it to runny then trying to add more powder to it as this dosnt work
You would need to throw it away and start the mix again
I was allways told to mix it with cold water
Dave

I've had exactly the same problem in the past and it was entirely due to the age of the product.

It was stored in an airtight container and not used form one year to the next!

When finally used (probably 8 plus years from when previously used :oops: ) all that happened was two bits of wood liberally coated with a white powder!

I'm convinced it was due to age and ended up binning a rather large quantity of (now useless) cascamite. From what you've said it seems a similar outcome. How long have you had the glue?

Deansocial":3trcn5g0 said:

Cascamite!!!!! Your showing your age :) or your tin is as old as you are!!! :) Mind you I still refer to it as Cascamite what ever it might be called on the tin. :)

Like everyone has suggested it's past its "use by date" :)

well i put it down to age then as its 5 years or so old. Its actually extramite but can't help ut called it cascamite. As for showing my age im 27

Cheers guys

You will find it on the shelves under cascamite again in some outlets. I recently bought some from Axminster which I was assured was new stock

Another vote for age! One tip that might help other occasional Cascamite users is to split the contents of a tin/bag between smaller, airtight containers immediately on purchase, and use these in sequence. I've just finished using some which according to the label was bought in 2006, and it's fine.
And delighted to hear it's now got back to its proper name :D . But then, I remember its stablemate "Casco", which was a casein (milk protein) based glue. Stank to high heaven if you left it anywhere damp!

Latest posts

Back