Carving tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bale

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at sets of 6 Marples carving tools on ebay. Some have more or less cylindrical handles like old boxwood chisels and some have handles that are more bulbous, a bit like the old style chippy's screwdriver. Are both types intended for striking, or is one for hand use and the other for mallets? I know nothing of carving, but would like to be able to hollow out small bowls. Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

Pete

I bought a set of Marples carving chisels about three years ago. I recently gave them away to a friend as I had never used them. Any carving I have done has been with chisels made by old makers and bought individually.

Hi Pete

I wouldn't normally buy a set (though I have in the past) as it's better to buy individually as you need them.
I have several makes and loads of shapes and sizes, the majority of which are very rarely used. I prefer Pfeil chisels to all others though it's personal preference and there's a beautiful set on ebay ending tonight. I could be sorely tempted to buy but I really don't need them!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-quality-ca ... 4d114f6b18

If you look at the pic, the bent gouge on the right is the type I would recommend for hollowing a bowl and individually it should cost you about £20 or so.

Bob

Bale":1e24vwd8 said:
I'm looking at sets of 6 Marples carving tools on ebay. Some have more or less cylindrical handles like old boxwood chisels and some have handles that are more bulbous, a bit like the old style chippy's screwdriver. Are both types intended for striking, or is one for hand use and the other for mallets? I know nothing of carving, but would like to be able to hollow out small bowls. Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

Pete

The cylindrical-handled ones are intended for use with a mallet, though they can be used by hand only for more delicate work. The ones with mushroom-shaped handles are intended for use by hand only, for such work as woodcuts and block engraving, and the 'screwdriver-handle' ones are similarly intended for more delicate work. You could use them with a mallet, but only gently.

You can do a lot of hollowing-out work with a few standard out-cannel firmer gouges. Depending on the size of the bowl, a biggish one of about 1" - 1 1/4" size will shift quite a lot of waste quite quickly, used with a heavy mallet. Smaller sizes for smaller bowls - by the time you get down to 1/4" or so, you're making finger grips rather than bowls! If you look at older gouges on Ebay, you can find them in several sweeps, too. Expect to pay about £10 - £15 including postage for a good one, but you can get lucky and find them for less. You'll almost certainly pay less than you would for good quality vintage carving gouges.

Thanks all for your advice, and special thanks to the man from Cheshire for enlightening me regarding the handles. Single tools it is then. Why are sets of things so seductive I wonder?

Pete

Bale":1tlor8ic said:
.......Single tools it is then. Why are sets of things so seductive I wonder?

Pete
I think it's by comparison to mechanics tools. A busy general motor mechanic is likely to use all the bits in his 91 piece socket set eventually, and a few more besides. And he needs them neatly arranged in order of size so he can put his hand on the right one immediately.
Novice woodworkers imagine themselves as wood mechanics.
Another lot imagine themselves as wood surgeons, with an emphasis on surgical levels of sharpness, tool perfection and precise "correct" procedures.

But in reality it's more like butchery.

Hi, Jacob

Wood mechanics
Wood surgeons
Wood butchers

Interesting observation. Care to identify any other categories?

Pete (It's my thread and I'll take it off topic if I want to :lol:)

Wood "artistes" - sensitive souls who make elaborate one-offs with exotic timbers and every dovetail treated differently?

This could run and run!

"Would be" woodworkers - aspirational types with all the gear but who haven't bought much wood lately? I'm a bit that way myself - lots of ideas for when I finish the current scheme of joinery/butchery.

Latest posts

Back