Carved Wallet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
monkeybiter":1n0p5hxr said:
Thanks Bob, wouldn't have thought to attempt it with original encouragement [and decent gouges :wink: ]

I've still not finished the Beech head nice wood to carve, but the Lime was a revellation. So easy to plane across the grain even with a flat chisel,with so little tearout. Is Box softer than Lime, or closer grained?

If you look in the third and fourth pictures, bottom right, you'll see an old hacksaw blade shaped to plough/scrape a slot. Not sharpened as a blade though, so I think I will 'invest' in a knife.

I fancy doing something similar next, maybe another wallet, but with less of the visible insides to tackle!

Box is hard Mike but i find it no more difficult to carve than lime. Similar in that it is very close grained and it can take very fine detail. Absolutely perfect for small work such as netsuke.

keep it going

Bob.
ps xy is right about collectors tools. I have around 25 "surplus" carving chisels aquired over the years. All old and collectable, mostly Addis but also Sorby, Marples, Henry Taylor and others. Just need to get my backside in gear and list them for sale. #-o

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 851
Just had to look up 'netsuke'. :oops: I think if I tried anything like the first few hits on google i'd get a clip round the ear from SWMBO!

If you're going to list your chisels individually or in small groups perhaps you could give me a nudge at the time, I tend to miss a lot of good stuff in the for sale section.

wow
thats fantastic , well done.
added bonus is that swmbo wont be able to drain that one.
seriously that is absolutely brilliant.
cheers paul-c

That's awesome! .....

Carving is on my have a go list... but don't think I'll get anywhere close to that!!!
Quite fancy making a marionette puppet

Apologies for having been impolite by lack of responce but I am currently on holiday and forum time is very limited.

Thanks to everybody who has commented for their helpful and extremely generous posts. SWMBO is always positive and encouraging but nice things said by people who know how to use wood, and who's work I respect is very uplifting and energising. I'm impatiently looking forward to getting back in the workshop now.

The only problem is the difficulty of following beginner's luck.

If I saw that on a display table in a shop, I'd pick it up and try to to open it to see who'd left their wallet behind! (and be thoroughly confused for a few seconds when it didn't open.)

Do I detect a small indented circle on the closing flap where the pop fastener would be on the other side? Plus looks like I can see a line simulating the stitching on the edge too?

Looks like you have a real gift for carving.

rafezetter":9e7jgobg said:
Do I detect a small indented circle on the closing flap where the pop fastener would be on the other side?

Actually it's an 'outy' not an 'inny', I wanted it to be subtle and found it to be one of the hardest bits to do.

rafezetter":9e7jgobg said:
Plus looks like I can see a line simulating the stitching on the edge too?

There are some partially abraded grooves to represent stitching, these are not yet finished and need further work [this afternoon].

Thanks for your comments.

monkeybiter":82n5m0j3 said:
There are some partially abraded grooves to represent stitching, these are not yet finished and need further work

:lol: :lol: Forgot to mention that Mike. Should have warned you that every time you pick up one of your carvings you'll see something you want to take a chisel to. I do it with carvings I "finished" 10 years ago #-o

Bob

Lons":33p2hcul said:
:lol: :lol: Forgot to mention that Mike. Should have warned you that every time you pick up one of your carvings you'll see something you want to take a chisel to. I do it with carvings I "finished" 10 years ago #-o

Bob

Bob,

You're not wrong! (hammer)

I've 'nearly' called it finished now, and have started another , different, wallet in Sapele [I think]. Did'nt you say you'd tried it and it was a pig to carve, tearing out all over the place? If you did you were right about that too! #-o Still, it's all learning.

Back