Carved Wallet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeybiter

Established Member
Reaction score
Inspired by some of the fabulous realistic work of Livio di Marchi, and using my new gouge set purchased from Lons, here's my first attempt at something decent.

It's lime wood, two coats of danish oil, which helps to show surface blemishes to be fixed [some still to do]. It's modelled on my wallet.

DSCF5724.jpg

DSCF5726.jpg

DSCF5727.jpg

DSCF5729.jpg

All comments welcome. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• DSCF5724.jpg
    DSCF5724.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,538
  • DSCF5726.jpg
    DSCF5726.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,538
  • DSCF5727.jpg
    DSCF5727.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,538
  • DSCF5729.jpg
    DSCF5729.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,538
I like it! Honestly thought it was leather for a second, had me a bit confused! Did it fool anyone else yet or am I just a bit simple?

Cheers,
Donald.

Crikey! That looks good. I would have been fooled had the thread not been titled.
Having tried a bit of carving I can appreciate the time, and great skill, that has gone into it. There is some serious under-cutting involved. Do you do the inside or outside first? Or does it happen as required?
Modelled on your wallet? Must have more in than mine :)

Great respect to you.

xy

That is really impressive, I've done a little bit of carving with lime, but I'm not going to show you my efforts, why? because there simply not as good as your wallet. Thanks for showing us.

Baldhead

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Blimey chaps, thanks for the very generous replies. Didn't quite expect that.

The gouge set I bought from Lons is like these http://www.axminster.co.uk/henry-taylor-super-sharp-set

However they are still a bit bulky for some of the deeper gnawing, so I had to resort to a couple of 'repurposed' electrical screwdrivers, one with approx 4mm blade and the other approx 3mm. I rough shaped the outside first, holding on the edges in the bench vice, then did the edges while holding in a cloth on the flats in the vice.

I did contemplate trying to go right through under the strap but bearing in mind the grain direction I bottled out. :roll:

Thanks again, made my night!

Absolutely great result Mike. You have to be well pleased with that. Should maybe have carved a moth emerging from it though :wink:

How did you find the lime to work with? My second favourite carving wood after boxwood.

Couple of suggestions if I may, for undercutting / restricted access, aquire a decent carving knife, plenty around and doesn't need to cost much or make one from a hacksaw blade or old kitchen knife. Another very useful tool is a metal handled scalpel, better than a craft knife but get the larger one (don't buy plastic handles as they're dangerous). Can only use these for slicing cuts, don't lever out chips or you'll snap the blade.

cheers
Bob

Thanks Bob, wouldn't have thought to attempt it with original encouragement [and decent gouges :wink: ]

I've still not finished the Beech head nice wood to carve, but the Lime was a revellation. So easy to plane across the grain even with a flat chisel,with so little tearout. Is Box softer than Lime, or closer grained?

If you look in the third and fourth pictures, bottom right, you'll see an old hacksaw blade shaped to plough/scrape a slot. Not sharpened as a blade though, so I think I will 'invest' in a knife.

I fancy doing something similar next, maybe another wallet, but with less of the visible insides to tackle!

Mike,
You have made a couple of things very plain in your post. For 'collectors' the size of a 'full set' of carving tools is infinite, there is always a need for the one you haven't got. Universal carving vices don't exist, whatever might be said.
You have set the bar very high, keep going. I am looking forward to seeing your next masterpiece.
xy

Latest posts

Back