Carved Beech Bowl - now with added close up piccies!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood spoiler

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the latest in my "carved bowl" exploration. The bowl has a 12" diameter

The thought behind the carved central band is to reflect the random pattern of fallen leaves.

For those interested in the process - The carving work was done taking out the deepest levels and moving up around the leaves which were finally detailed. The Pyro was done before the finishing and waxing (sanding sealer and chestnut 22)which left wax residue in the texture. I had to redo the pyro post waxing to restore the colour and effect. If anyone has any ideas on finishes in this type of work I would be pleased to hear alternative suggestions. I didn't use my buffing system as I thought it would leave too much residue but on reflection perhaps I should have !

I have tried different techniques and will be pleased to receive all comments observations and criticisms as all help me to evolve the concept

DSC01353.jpg

DSC01352.jpg

DSC01345.jpg

DSC01343.jpg

DSC01342.jpg

Hi Colin, I think the bowl ,the design,and the carving are superb.
What I can see wrong is what you have asked help for the finish.

I can not help with this matter as I just use oil on anything I do,
but I'm sure that someone on here will have the answer to your
inquiry. Putting a finishing polish on a carved piece like yours will have
it's problems I think some use a stiff brush to remove excess I am not sure.

But I would love the piece with just an oil finish. Hope you get proper help for
your problem.

Thanks for showing love the carving.

REgards Boysie

Hi Colin,

Like Eugene I have nothing to offer on the technique side of it. I like the bowl but for me, it would have been more subtle without the pyro. I understand that it makes the leaves stand out of the background but maybe its the finish on the pyro that makes it look 'false' somehow. Don't know how else to describe it.

You Foredom is getting a workout lately. I was interested in your post with all the bits in. Annoyed to see that they aren't compatible with either the Dremel or my air tool though. Some of the smaller burrs would be really useful for the piercing I am playing with.

gus3049":1fdki4ne said:
Hi Colin,

You Foredom is getting a workout lately. I was interested in your post with all the bits in. Annoyed to see that they aren't compatible with either the Dremel or my air tool though. Some of the smaller burrs would be really useful for the piercing I am playing with.

Thanks for the bowl comments. The pyro was to represent the underneath of the leaves. When I looked at pictures of fallen leaves you saw the top layers and everything else was black. That was the "artistic" however, in my case more autistic interpretation! Never having been good at art per se this is why I ask for the feedback in a genuine bid to find what works and what doesn't.

Good news on the Dremel front. I can use a lot of the burrs shown in the Dremel The middle sized ones fit in the collet that was standard supplied on a Dremel. I believe you can get different collets that fit dremel machines to expand the range. Although I use the Foredom for most of what I do I often have a dremel on the side with a second bit in it for quick fill in work. The Foredom is just a happier tool being used for prolonged periods. I think capacities of Burrs can be similar. Worth checking it out.

my only complaint is that you haven't provided more detailed photo's of the leaf and pyro!

overall impression is very very favorable - nice :)

Superb creation, my only suggestion on the finishing front is to use a domed bristle brush and microcrystalline wax in lieu of ww22.
the bristles get into the crevices better than a fabric mop and the mc wax is less prone to leave prominent residue when dried.

The bristle mop is what I use on Burr Bark etc. after sealing and again after waxing.
bristlemop1.JPG
bristlemop2.JPG

Attachments

• bristlemop1.JPG
    bristlemop1.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 803
  • bristlemop2.JPG
    bristlemop2.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 803
CHJ":326cpesd said:
Superb creation, my only suggestion on the finishing front is to use a domed bristle brush and microcrystalline wax in lieu of ww22.
the bristles get into the crevices better than a fabric mop and the mc wax is less prone to leave prominent residue when dried.

The bristle mop is what I use on Burr Bark etc. after sealing and again after waxing.

Chas

Thanks for that great suggestion.

Is it a homemade creation or is it sold somewhere? Could you let me know where to get one if it is a Sale item

jumps":ifxzq4o7 said:
my only complaint is that you haven't provided more detailed photo's of the leaf and pyro!

I'll try to get some more pictures taken and post them later .... watch this space

Wood spoiler":bd3zj8mo said:
Chas

Thanks for that great suggestion.

Is it a homemade creation or is it sold somewhere? Could you let me know where to get one if it is a Sale item

It is one from Chestnut Finishes so you should be able to get one from any of the stockists.

As supplied they come with a small mandrel to fit a drill chuck but if this is removed and a 8mm nut and bolt fitted in lieu then it fits the Chestnut buffing mandrels.

jumps":dznmx0xn said:

Can't have unhappy viewers now can we. I have attached more piccies close up as requested. Doesn't quite look so good too close - I will have to call it "carved beech bowl IN OILS"

Tell me what you think

DSC01383.jpg

DSC01381.jpg

DSC01374.jpg

DSC01372.jpg

DSC01370.jpg

Colin I like the leaf carvings and Chas suggests you should use M/C as a finish I think you should give it a try.

REgards Boysie

boysie39":desmexzb said:
Colin I like the leaf carvings and Chas suggests you should use M/C as a finish I think you should give it a try.

REgards Boysie

I certainly will redo but I am going to get the bristle mop he suggested. It seems an alien concept putting work under hard bristles. You would expect it to do more harm than good. But I have yet to see a duff finish on a Chas piece. So if he says do it then that is good enough for me!

thank you Colin - no more complaints!

these really help to bring home the wider picture - if that doesn't seem silly given that they are close ups...

boysie39":3mzao4v8 said:

REgards Boysie

Been to see my local man. Chestnut mop not in stock but on order. Hopefuuly will be able to have a go at re-finishing soon

Back