Carved Green Man Planter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood spoiler

Established Member
Reaction score
This started out as tool practice in hollowing.

It started out as a Plane Tree Trunk (Tulipwood - I think?)

Having turned it I came back to find the base severely cracked from drying. I chucked it to one side and carried on with other things.

I moved it a couple of weeks ago and the cracks across the bas had closed themselves. It had stayed pretty much in the round. One inclusion had cracked. I treated that to a dose of CA

Having turned it down again I thought it was crying out for a bit of my carving practice. Conscious of some sage like advice about becoming a "one trick pony" I wanted to try something different with different techniques to those previously employed. I remembered the Green Man, the face looking through the Oak Leaves. I set to and had a go and welcome observations on the finished effect.

I put a walnut foot onto it to finish it off. I was a bit disappointed at how light part of the Walnut came up, but that is the joy of working in wood.

It stands 10" tall and 7.5" wide

I sealed the finished thing with sanding sealer then Beal Buffed it. In the abscence of comment on how to use the Bristle brush, I worked some microcrystalline wax into the carved area and worked it over with the new Chestnut Bristle brush.

So what do you think of it?

DSC01698.jpg

DSC01701.jpg

DSC01702.jpg

DSC01703.jpg

DSC01699.jpg

stunning Colin, well done.

Could i just ask please, with carving how do you know which area's to leave high and which to take away, if thats not a stupid question..

I have a crick in the neck from trying to see it sideways.

The walnut foot looks nice to me and the carving (in spite of the fact that I'm sure I can see a leaf or two in there somewhere) looks extremely well done. The one thing I have found when using the power tools is that the edges just don't look as crisp as when using 'proper' carving chisels. However, I rather like the slightly soft look it produces.

If being good a something makes you a one trick pony then so be it. I can't imagine who could have accused you of such a thing though :lol:

stevebuk":2ho1n51b said:
stunning Colin, well done.

Could i just ask please, with carving how do you know which area's to leave high and which to take away, if thats not a stupid question..

Thanks for the kind comment.

As to stupid question , in my opinion the only stupid one is an unasked one. If you don't ask you don't find out.

The process I go through may not necessarily be what "proper" carvers might do, as my process has all been trial and thankfully not too much error. I transfer the image to the work and then cut the lines using a very fine cutting tool. I then enhance the cut with a small ball cutter. I then worked away at the deepest cuts in the face and I tried to cut in sweeping directions that appear to be following the natural flow.

Having got the main gist of the design it is a case of working across the details. The leaves I cut following the curves of the leaf.

Hope this helps

gus3049":gmbyimfn said:
I have a crick in the neck from trying to see it sideways.

The walnut foot looks nice to me and the carving (in spite of the fact that I'm sure I can see a leaf or two in there somewhere) looks extremely well done. The one thing I have found when using the power tools is that the edges just don't look as crisp as when using 'proper' carving chisels. However, I rather like the slightly soft look it produces.

If being good a something makes you a one trick pony then so be it. I can't imagine who could have accused you of such a thing though :lol:

Sorry about the crick in the neck. I put them all the right way in photo bucket. I think it is a "feature" pf the forum software to stack them as is now. If you click on a piccie it will take you through to my photo account.

I have got hold of a reciprocating carving tool to give a more traditional carve but not tried it in anger yet .... For another day

Glad you appreciated a few leaves

mikec":308398nf said:
That is brilliant Colin, the carving really adds another dimension to the piece.

Love it :D :D :D :D

mikec
MickCheese":308398nf said:
I love the carving. I really like the way it is framed in the grain.

Mick

Glad you gents like it. It would be a bit bland without some detail as the wood lacks much grain - but then that was why a fiddly bit works

Doug B":3v8kmuog said:
That is excellent Colin =D>

Cheers.

Thanks Doug

Whilst it is very nice to receive applause, I am open to constructive criticism please feel free to make observations etc. It all helps the learning curve

Thats fantastic, How much liquid, lets call that liquid....uh... beer (for want of a better liquid) would it hold just out of interest?

PsyMan":22sbw2cr said:
Thats fantastic, How much liquid, lets call that liquid....uh... beer (for want of a better liquid) would it hold just out of interest?

That's a tricky one

Best guess about a gallon. At least a night out's worth, but sadly it is destined to have a plant stood inside which will make the bear a bit earthy!

Back