Carpenters Apron - new design - feedback desired

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well thanks for all the feedback - but I should clarify a few things - I made up this design for my own use as I tend to move around a lot and now I have access to another persons work area; but which is broken up to sections 20 meters apart, I thought having "the essentials" to hand all the time, instead of walking back and fore as I have been when I put the tape measure down (or he picks it up and walks off with it) would save me the exercise and wasted time.

I currently use a toolbelt sort of arrangement, and it's not so comfortable for me, I have to keep readjusting it, and then retucking in my workshirt etc. I have used these popular site trousers, and have just felt because all the pockets are non removable - you have to keep filling all the bits into them each morning and removing when they go in the wash.... faff.

The reason it'll be going up for sale is basically the person I contacted already makes a few customized aprons for various skills and wants to add this design to her portfolio - I'd be getting NONE of the proceeds or have any other involvement in that, I simply mention it by way of supporting our homebased crafters. The price - yes they do go up even higher for canvas or otherwise non leather aprons, you'd be surprised, and she has said the amount of work involved is at least 5 hours for all the making up of components, PLUS the material. £7.50 or anything under £20 for a cheap apron is sweatshop prices beleive me - a meter of plain calico will cost you £5-8 pr meter and that's with no labour included - something those of you who've scoffed at the price might wish to remember.

She has said she is happy to customize to suit personal preferences - I'm sure I mentioned that.

- The shoulder straps instead of neck is noted
- Stopping things falling out when bending over is also noted.
- re-inforcing the bottom - considered already, not sure how to implement without simply double layering the insides with tougher fabric driving the price up.

These are exactly the sorts of practical feedback I was hoping for ty.

The original post did make it sound like the apron for you was more a protype for a commercial venture, but clearly not.

As you have now clarified it sounds to me like so much in life as if it is horses for courses. In your particular situation, as you say, having the essentials to hand is a good idea, in my small workshop nothing is ever more than a few steps away, so different situation means different answer.

I hope you get the design perfected and also hope the person making it can find a few other buyers. As I have become older I have become ever more keen to support local trades, not to say I use them exclusively but I do try to 'spread the love' a little more than I used to, even if it means spending a little more sometimes.

Terry.

Have you thought of sewing a strong magnet into the fabric to hold a few screws?

Better than a pocket for screws as that has the risk of stabbing oneself when picking a screw out of the pocket

MCB

MCB":3lskn8uj said:
Have you thought of sewing a strong magnet into the fabric to hold a few screws?

Better than a pocket for screws as that has the risk of stabbing oneself when picking a screw out of the pocket

MCB

I had thought of adding the magnet patch - a few commercial ones have them and getting the point of a woodchip screw (particularly sharp) just at the soft bit under your fingernail is pretty painful, but I have the intention of adding a few extra's in leather to the base version made for me, one of which could well be a magnet patch or possibly enlarging one of the magnet flap catches so it can hold a few screws too.

Random Orbital Bob":2f4ln85j said:
so long as there is no direct solicitation for business through this forum. Many thanks.

And putting your business website address at the end of your every posting is just for decoration, I suppose. :?

Being a mucky pipper i use a lot of varnish allways wiping my hands on it so @ £75 i feel it would be an expensive hand wipers and too many pockets i have 2 or three aprons and when they get to bad i bin them but i only pay about a tenner for them1 but they keep my clothing clean

My aprons use to look old and manky, then I bought a black one- mankyness problem solved.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

hammer n nails":3ndldvwv said:
Being a mucky pipper i use a lot of varnish allways wiping my hands on it so @ £75 i feel it would be an expensive hand wipers and too many pockets i have 2 or three aprons and when they get to bad i bin them but i only pay about a tenner for them1 but they keep my clothing clean

I have a couple of lab coats; I have had them for some time (from the days when I worked in a laboratory) so can't remember the price new.

They protect my clothes and when one begins to look a little grubby, I put it in my washing machine and it comes out pristine white.

MC

The only mod I might make to an apron is the neck-strap fixed at one end only, and made long enough to secure to a loop or ring on the other side, with a sheet-bend. (A 'trap-knot' for you lubbers!) That makes the neck strap adjustable for length. It's academic mind as I usually wear a warehouse coat or a cotton drill jacket, both with shortened sleeves.

Cheers

They protect my clothes and when one begins to look a little grubby, I put it in my washing machine and it comes out pristine white.

MC[/quote]

Pristine white, Wot washing powder do you use then?
Rodders

blackrodd":20z82xm4 said:

MC

Pristine white, Wot washing powder do you use then?
Rodders[/quote]

Actually I use Persil (which came top in the Which? tests a few years ago) in a Miele washing machine.

I also put in a bit of stain remover powder and a magnetic ball (I'm not sure if that does any good but it doesn't do any harm)

It quite surprised my 96 year old Mother that things came out clean since she always scrubbed the dirty bits before washing.

With best wishes.

MC

Back