Carpenter bees in France

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halo Jones

Established Member
Reaction score
Calling for help from French forum members,

My father in law has a holiday / retirement house in the Provence area of France. One of the covered patio areas which is part of the house has two old oak beams that has recently (in the last 2 months, since his last visit) been infested with what I suspect are carpenter bees. To give you an idea of how the size of infestation he thinks he sooked about 150 into his hoover the first day and is now getting about 5-10 every day or two. He is rightly worried that this is going to substantially weaken the beams. Every time one of them flies off you can see the wood dust floating in the breeze!

What should he be buying at the local Mr Bricolage or similar to get rid of them! Then what should he treat the timber with so they don't return?

I hope you guys can help!

H.

I think Xylophene (spelling) although I have found that creosote is definitely seen as being very unpleasant to them.

best way to sparay if you don't want to paint with a brush is to use a paraffin gun.

Once they have gone the traditional way to discourage them is to lime wash the interior roof woodwork. Seems the egg layers think the wood is stone and leave them alone.

hope it helps

woodfarmer":y29n83xe said:
I think Xylophene (spelling) although I have found that creosote is definitely seen as being very unpleasant to them.

best way to sparay if you don't want to paint with a brush is to use a paraffin gun.

Once they have gone the traditional way to discourage them is to lime wash the interior roof woodwork. Seems the egg layers think the wood is stone and leave them alone.

hope it helps

I used a pressurised 5 litre pump thing (like for garden sprays etc). I think there's something in the lime too, if I remember my tutor correctly, which is objectionable to a lot of beasties - wasn't lime-wash used to 'disinfect' stables and outbuildings etc?

Thanks,

Can limewash be bought in the sheds in France? What is it called?!

Also. Do the entry/exit holes need filled with anything?

H.

This is one of the popular sheds found in most areas - but won't be the cheapest.
http://www.leroymerlin.fr/v3/p/produits ... 1308218170

Most outlets will have some lime products in different quantities/prices.

The difference between non-hydraulic lime (chaux aerienne) and natural hydraulic lime (NHL - chaux hydraulique) is - as far as my limited understanding goes in building terms is mainly one of strength - NHL 3.5 - NHL 5.0 tends to be used where a fix or more serious weatherproofing is required - ie mortaring or pointing.

Limewash is called "badigeon de chaux" and is basically just lime and water. Apply carefully as it's caustic (particular care with the eyes - stings like crazy and doesn't do much good... take it from one who knows!)

Sorry - can't answer your other question...

It has just occurred to me on re-reading your original post - your fil may not want the area totally white - because that's what the limewash will do - very matte, very white.

It is of course perfectly ok to add a natural colouring oxide to the wash to make it whatever colour you'd want... Advice on that front would be to mix the powdered oxide in with the water first, then strain it through a VERY fine mesh before adding the lime. If you don't, tiny flecks of colour will spoil the finish.

This is where I buy mine from... http://www.ocres-de-france.com/index.php - his neck of the woods possibly...

Back