Carol singers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I often close the shutters when the carol singers come round Jason :wink:

My daughter and her friend are both trained sopranos, and actually get booked up each year by local villagers, requesting that they come and do carols at their house! They simply can't fit everyone in. My best buddy is a professional concert singer, a baritone, and ditto with him.......he takes a group of 10 or 12 singers around his local villages and they attract a walking crowd following them house to house. Quite an event, and the way it should be. You can buy his CD at ..... :D

My daughter, BTW, usually picks up over £100 a night from carol singing.

Even this cynical aetheist enjoys carols done this way!

Mike

Last xmas I was having a shower having just come home from work. I hear the godawful, atonal screeching of my traveller neighbours kids singing coming from the front of my house.

Being in the full xmas spirit, I carry on with my shower.

A minute later, there comes a massive pounding on my front door followed by traveller dad: "Oi! I know yer in there! Get out here and listen to my kids!"

I open the bathroom window, tell him to stop making such a bloody fracarse (had watched the Italian Job the previous night :lol: ). He shouts back at me, telling me the kids just want a couple of quid then they'll go away. Told him I didn't have any cash on me, would he take MasterCard? He gave up at that point and stomped off muttering.

I view carol singers in the same light as trick or treaters, chuggers (charity muggers) and door-to-door salesmen.

I can fully understand why people would hire professional / talented singers at xmas because they are just that - talented. I'd I wanted to pay to hear tone-deaf screeching I'd buy Liona Lewis' album.

Humbug I say! :lol:

ps: I'm only 28! What's happening to me?! :shock: :lol: :lol:

Mike Garnham":2m2u60og said:
My daughter and her friend are both trained sopranos,
Blimey, remind me never to upset them or you.:shock:
and actually get booked up each year by local villagers, requesting that they come and do carols at their house!
Mike
Oh that sort of Soprano, for a minute there....

pren":2fwriu1f said:
I view carol singers in the same light as trick or treaters, chuggers (charity muggers) and door-to-door salesmen.

Agreed, it's begging. At least it is around here. Perhaps in those lovely quaint rural villages, it's all good hearted religious spiritual cheer. But in my experience it's kids more concerned with earning money out of singing the same chorus of 'rocking around the xmas tree'

There you go, first rant of the day :)

wizer":1ypheblv said:
Perhaps in those lovely quaint rural villages, it's all good hearted religious spiritual cheer.

Leave the religious and spiritual bit out and you aren't far from the truth! Unless you mean the spirits such as Brandy which help them on their way.

Mike

well you know, I was trying to paint that vicar of dibbly type of scene. I'm not knocking it. I'd move next door to you in a shot Mike ;)

wizer":2hxp8t0t said:
well you know, I was trying to paint that vicar of dibbly type of scene. I'm not knocking it. I'd move next door to you in a shot Mike ;)

Tom I think you ought to think that one through!

He will be round your place turning the central heating down to 12 deg
Chasing off all those delivery men trying to deliver your latest tool fad.
and worst of all - round all the while, trying to cadge a go on your lathe.

Mike Garnham":m76d7al4 said:
You can have this place Tom........we're moving!

Mike

Let's call it 100k and I'll throw in my turning tools? :wink:

Back