Dog locks for Evolution rails

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ro

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that everyone else has know about them for ages, but I've only recently come across Dave Stanton's dog locks for MFT tables.

I was going to order a pair, but I use Evolution tracks on my MFT instead of Festool ones (much cheaper!) and they have T-slots facing down instead of up.

So, last night I jumped into CAD and after a couple of iterations and 3D prints I came up with these:

IMG_3173.jpeg

They're printed in PLA+ and they use countersunk M5 bolts to fix them in place. They only protrude 3mm under the track and the thinnest material I cut is 3mm ply, so I don't think they will stop me cutting anything.
IMG_3166 (1).jpeg

The one that sits nearest the user is fairly standard, but has the slot attachment on the bottom instead of the top
IMG_3167 (1).jpeg

but the one the sits further away has all the mounting points moved above the main part so it doesn't interfere with stock passing under the track.
IMG_3168 (1).jpeg

You have to turn the track upside down to align them, but they seem nice and easy to position
IMG_3169 (1).jpeg

And they seem to grab nicely!

I admire your ingenuity & perseverance Ro,.......but surely, those " Dog Locks" are facing in the wrong direction.....?!?!

As the saw is placed on the track and pushed away from you, the dogs are likely to un hook themselves.....If the hooks were facing in the other direction, it would only lock tighter to the dog.......or am I missing something..?

As the saw is placed on the track and pushed away from you, the dogs are likely to un hook themselves.....If the hooks were facing in the other direction, it would only lock tighter to the dog.......or am I missing something..?
I never thought of that!!! Also, if they were reversed, locking the track to the dogs would push the wood onto the fence instead of away from it!

Thanks for the input! I'm going to reverse them and print out a couple more!

Nice one :)

Need to get round to making some for my Bosch rails.

My printer is currently printing parts for a thermal insert tool, get the damn things in perfect every time :)

Do you use PETG at all? I'm using the same as you, PLA + currently.

Oh, nice - they can be quite pesky to insert!

I've printed in PETG, PLA and ABS, but I'm finding that PLA+ is fine for most jobs which don't require resistance to temperature.

Hey RO,
Another member from the New Forest here!
Any chance of a copy of the stl file for your bench dog locks - just been down the rabbit hole trying to find some for my new evolution rail (regretting not spending the money of a makita one at this point!) and came across your post
Cheers
Sean

Back