Carboot buy - Picture framers clamp?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalvt22

Established Member
Reaction score
Quite new to the forum/UKWorkshop but I thought I'd share this with you and see if anyone has any information.
I brought it from a carboot for £1 and I think its a picture framers clamp but not 100% sure. Its got a lovely action to it and as you wind the clamp down the small buttons type rollers on top are geared to bring the mitre up tighter. Has anyone else got one of this type or use it?
Picture of the back
P1070585.JPG

Picture of the front
P1070584.JPG

Attachments

• P1070584.JPG
    P1070584.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 158
  • P1070585.JPG
    P1070585.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 158
There is a similar (though not identical) one in Salaman's Dictionary of Woodworking Tools on page 165 Fig 242:

"Cramp,Corner (Picture Framing Cramp). These devices are made to grip the corners of mitred joints used in making and gluing picture frames, mirrors and other framing work..."

I have not seen one like this with a centre screw..."Google Stanley 400 vise"

Great find at any price but for a quid...magic! =D>

Jim

Cheers for that. I'd not seen one like this either. This one's a bit different than the ones on google, like you said, as the rollers pull the mitre closer together.
Not sure I'll ever use it but one day it might come in handy!
Cheers
Kev

kalvt22":3fryugxx said:
Cheers for that. I'd not seen one like this either. This one's a bit different than the ones on google, like you said, as the rollers pull the mitre closer together.
Not sure I'll ever use it but one day it might come in handy!
Cheers
Kev

I think it is beautiful! Very ingenious and such an elegant solution!

Wonderful.

I can see the word "PATENTED" but are there any maker's marks or patent numbers?

Jim

brilliant little clamp. the mechanism is ingenious, although would'nt it mark softer woods?? :duno:

adidat

Looks very much like the Preston No.0140 Patent Roller Corner Cramp to me. The No.1 would apparently take 2 1/4" and the No.2 size, 4" mouldings. Good chance you'll find the EP mark on it somewhere if it is. Nice buy.

kev there seems to be a word on the turn screw in the second picture, could you identify it please?

adidat

Adidat - The letters on the turn screw read HUGHES (I think) and I think it probably would mark softwoods.

Alf- this one when fully open will take about 2 1/8" so thats probably 2 1/4" finished size? Not sure about the EP mark though only the words "Patent", "Roller" & "Hughes" on it.
Cheers Guys
Kev

Back