car recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
My '08 Beamer is becoming a money pit and must go in the next 6 months.
As I find myself ferrying elderly parents around, I want:

4 door with bigish doors for access
one higher up than a normal saloon
No longer than the BMW (4.250metres)

Had a look around a used car place that I will use (they have given good service in the past) the other day just to see what was available. There seems to be plenty of choice.
The Vauxall Mokka seemed to fit the bill, I only mention is as it caught my eye so don't think I have decided what to buy.
Help me narrow the choices please

You don't mention budget?

I had an audi Q3 for 4 years - great car. Not too huge, fits four comfortably and five if you're friendly. Four wheel drive and the automatic gearbox are excellent in Audis.

Boot space isn't massive, but easily enough to fit the regular stuff in (luggage, shopping etc).

I would have kept it, but with a baby and a dog we needed something bigger so went for the Q5

lurker":3n96ir0c said:
one higher up than a normal saloon

I assume you mean higher up in height rather than spec?

If so be careful. If you are ferrying old people around, what is an easy entrance for you will possibly be harder for achey old joints.

Ideally I'd like to spend 8K but up to 12k second hand obviously, there appeared to be plenty in this range when I looked the other day.
Yes higher off the ground, so the wrinklies can get in & out easier.

lurker":3pquh6os said:
Ideally I'd like to spend 8K but up to 12k second hand obviously, there appeared to be plenty in this range when I looked the other day.

That's my point, some cars are too high for some old people.

My father in law really struggled getting into higher vehicles.

MrTeroo":3fb3dphp said:
lurker":3fb3dphp said:

That's my point, some cars are too high for some old people.

My father in law really struggled getting into higher vehicles.

I see what you mean but with a normal saloon the seat height is low rather than at the same height
However we will try before we buy

Mokka- Sure if you want even bigger money pit+ be always sad that you have to drive such a piece of cowpat, Had it as hire car for a week and it's a truly dreadful car, sure it looks nice from outside but that's about it.. ( I drive a 2003 Jazz, so I don't have High standards btw ;) )

you haven't mentioned what age car you would like for your 8-12k?

novocaine":1jy7yem7 said:
sell the old folks and buy a Porsche. :)

ok that wasn't helpful.

Dacia duster.

Closer to the mark than you think!
I have a "blokey" relationship with my F in L who is over 90.

Conversation in early Dec:
Him "I don't think I'll last till Christmas".
Me: "you keep saying that, I have cancelled the Porshe order twice now"

MrDavidRoberts":3806n2t5 said:
Mokka- Sure if you want even bigger money pit+ be always sad that you have to drive such a piece of cowpat, Had it as hire car for a week and it's a truly dreadful car, sure it looks nice from outside but that's about it.. ( I drive a 2003 Jazz, so I don't have High standards btw ;) )

you haven't mentioned what age car you would like for your 8-12k?

thanks, thats the sort of feedback I was hoping for
My past buys have been high mileage 2-3 years old "repmobiles"

The current beamer was a 2 year old ex unmarked police car which I subsequently found out had uprated suspension & brakes. It is a safe drive. Was very cheap for its year but 90 K on the clock.
Low mileage suggests short journeys which is what kills cars these days

In my experience with elderly parents a car with higher seating is much easier to get into than a normal saloon with low seats.

My 89 year old mil has been in my A6 a few times over the hols and gets in and out ok.

Personally I'd go Audi every time if you can afford it. I've had a couple of Bmws and hired a new 3 series estate for our last holiday and found the A4 quatro avant I owned at the time knocked spots off the BM.
I had an A6 saloon before that and have just swapped my A4 for an A6 avant quatro with an auto box which is excellent.

I did look hard at a Q5 as my mate has had one for 6 years and my bil has just bough a Q3 which he loves. They are overpriced though keep a decent residual in my case.

Bob

ps; You'll get a hundred different opinions as we're all biased by our own preferences and experiences. I'm more than a little OTT when it comes to my motor and I've been told I change more often than I change my socks - not true of course, I change socks twice a year. :wink:

Attachments

• A6 avant 1.jpg
    A6 avant 1.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 1,146
For reliability and value go for a Honda I have had a Civic and a Accord and I am on my second CRV great cars my daughter has a civic and my father has just bought a new Jazz service wise speaking to a friend his Ford was more to service than my CRV and they are bullet proof never had a problem from any of them other than the usual service costs and they do hold their price compared to other brands.
Jim

lurker":3qfdebi0 said:
Racers":3qfdebi0 said:
Alfa Guilietta

Pete

My body filling and derusting days are over
That's why I suggest it.

Pete[/quote]

everyone knows a non rusty Alfa is just a myth :wink:
Anyway where would I put the front number plate??[/quote]

To one side where the speed cameras don't see it.

Pete

Any far eastern crossover should do you. Avoid European stuff unless you plan on buying a warranty for it. The Hyundai Tucson reviews well as does the Mazda CX5.

Another Skoda Yeti vote here. A friend has one, and rates it highly.

Never heard a bad thing about them, and they score well with customer satisfaction and reliability.

Back