Car documents

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering where other members keep their car documents. Do you keep them in the car or in a safe place at home. I was once advised never to leave documents in the car, yet, if stopped by the police it is one of the first things they ask for. I carry my driving licence in my wallet as I often need it for ID purposes.

I don't carry any documents in the car except a photocopy of my insurance certificate and a photocopy of my breakdown/rescue company.
I always carry my plastic Driving licence in my wallet, again for ID.
Having said that, the last time I was stopped by the police was 40 odd years ago :)
The police have all your records, insurance, car Tax etc on their systems anyway.

The cars handbooks and service record, I keep at home too - they would fill the glove compartment - and required services are indicated by the cars computer.

Rod

All at home, SWMBO knows where they all are, my memory's a colander for boring stuff [not by choice].

Just the plastic licence card for me. I used to carry copies in the glove box but now they can check it instantly with the PNC I don't see the point. I do carry copies If I drive abroad though........ as well as yellow jackets, bulb kits, breathalysers, an NPC suit and the rest of the stuff they advise you to carry. :roll:

Kind regards,
Ed

Car/van handbooks and service details in the glove box with details of breakdown cover. Driving license (green/pink paper one - remember those......) In the wallet. Everything else is filed at home.

Chippygeoff":1y5sq2c7 said:
I was wondering where other members keep their car documents. Do you keep them in the car or in a safe place at home. I was once advised never to leave documents in the car, yet, if stopped by the police it is one of the first things they ask for. I carry my driving licence in my wallet as I often need it for ID purposes.
Don't carry any documents at all either in the car or on me. In 55 years of driving I've only been stopped a couple of times by the police and that was 45 years or so ago when driving a very fast car (AC Frua) very quickly indeed (this was way before blanket speed limits) and I think the cops mostly wanted a look at the car :)

I have my car documents, handbook, service record etc in the glove box along with mine and the wifes sunglasses, about 10 CD's and that's it, nothing else. With ANPR cameras the police know if there's any problems long before they stop you.

Baldhead

Harbo":9ioql01m said:
I don't carry any documents in the car except a photocopy of my insurance certificate and a photocopy of my breakdown/rescue company.
I always carry my plastic Driving licence in my wallet, again for ID.
Having said that, the last time I was stopped by the police was 40 odd years ago :)
The police have all your records, insurance, car Tax etc on their systems anyway.

The cars handbooks and service record, I keep at home too - they would fill the glove compartment - and required services are indicated by the cars computer.

Rod

Things might be different today Rod, but a photocopy was no use to a driver in my day. It HAS to be the actual document, for obvious reasons. Especially since the dawn of computers., and the ease of forgery. However, these days they can check your documents before they even stop you, so I keep mine in the safe at home. You are allowed 7 days for production, and as far as I am aware, that hasn't changed.

HTH
John :)

I only keep copies in case you have to exchange details and for the Rescue Services contact details.
I know the Police can access your stuff from the records - also tax disc no longer displayed after October 12th? though you'll still need to buy one.

Rod

Latest posts

Back